contemplating on buying this

russian rocket

Forget the laser. Learn to aim.

while i may not be the best aim, i can still aim just fine, i just think a laser can be a little more consistent and good reference point in case of an emergency

this is me at 25ft out on a standard piece of printer paper

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/kliped/car/8921_172617046647_503276647_4193241.jpg

Any help in a panic situation would be a benefit. I would not rely on it though...

KillJoy

In a panic situation it also lights up where you are at

I agree with Austin, but would like to add that a laser won't help grip or stance or any other part of hitting a target, it just makes you less likely to use the sights and therefore hurts your ability to shoot anything without a laser on it. I'll never put a laser on anything I own.

while i may not be the best aim, i can still aim just fine, i just think a laser can be a little more consistent and good reference point in case of an emergency

Hate to be a thread dick, but based on that picture, you do need to practice a shit ton more.

What were the run down of your setup to produce those results? (gun, ammo, stance, indoors/outdoors, slow fire, rapid fire, double taps etc etc)

Honestly, you lack control of many things to have such a sporadic grouping (if it can be called that). At 25ft you should at the very least, be able to keep all rounds within the target, better if in the black. Sure that has a grouping of 8X11 inches, which would put all those rounds into a chest cavity, but add in pressure, adrenaline, speed, confusion etc in a defense situation and that grouping becomes the size of a sheet of plywood.

Of course this is all relative and subjective to what one thinks is "just fine." I in no way would be happy at all with those results.

Hate to be a thread dick, but based on that picture, you do need to practice a shit ton more.

What were the run down of your setup to produce those results? (gun, ammo, stance, indoors/outdoors, slow fire, rapid fire, double taps etc etc)

Honestly, you lack control of many things to have such a sporadic grouping (if it can be called that). At 25ft you should at the very least, be able to keep all rounds within the target, better if in the black. Sure that has a grouping of 8X11 inches, which would put all those rounds into a chest cavity, but add in pressure, adrenaline, speed, confusion etc in a defense situation and that grouping becomes the size of a sheet of plywood.

Of course this is all relative and subjective to what one thinks is "just fine." I in no way would be happy at all with those results.

That's a fairly normal pattern for the casual shooter. Sure you're not gonna win any competitions with it but for a handgun at 25ft the groupings not bad. Only problem I see is he seems to shoot low on average.

i used my xd45 4in barrel, i was using some cheep wolf 230gr fmj ammunition. while i cant recall the name of the stance at this time, it was with my feet shoulder length apart and my left foot slightly forward and knees bent. all shots were slow shots.

btw i should have mentioned, that was my first time ever shooting a gun. i know i need plenty of practice, i never said i was the best.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/kliped/car/8921_172617046647_503276647_4193241.jpg

http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/photos/weapons_firearms/shooterswheelofmisfortuneace.jpg

Looks like your jerking hand might be a little to strong.

i used my xd45 4in barrel, i was using some cheep wolf 230gr fmj ammunition. while i cant recall the name of the stance at this time, it was with my feet shoulder length apart and my left foot slightly forward and knees bent. all shots were slow shots.

btw i should have mentioned, that was my first time ever shooting a gun. i know i need plenty of practice, i never said i was the best.

Weaver FTL.

That's a fairly normal pattern for the casual shooter. Sure you're not gonna win any competitions with it but for a handgun at 25ft the groupings not bad. Only problem I see is he seems to shoot low on average.

I consider myself to be "casual" as I only get out to shoot maybe a few times a year, but when I do, I concentrate very hard on what I'm doing instead of just lobbing lead down range. Yes its fun to just go out and shoot to relieve stress and relax, but it's not helping learn anything, or correct any issues you might have with your setup.

Here, just so I'm not blowing smoke up everyone's ass, here's three targets I shot a year ago with my STI Spartan from 21ft. First time out with the 1911, ever. As you can see, even I have a tendency to pull down to the left when shooting ( I need to work on that, but the grouping is what I was mainly working on that day). If you're just starting out with a gun, then work on groupings from a closer distance, then learn your site offsets and adjust from there, then move out farther.

The three errant holes are from my wife and her 9mm. My group though is 7+1 touching one another traveling towards the 10 ring.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/D94R/Guns/target2.jpg

One out of the black, in the 6 ring.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/D94R/Guns/target1.jpg

All but one in a cluster. That other little guy, I wouldn't worry about that little guy.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/D94R/Guns/target3.jpg

I'm not claiming I'm an expert, as I'm far from coming close to that as I don't put in the required time. I do however make full use of the limited time I do have. Like I said before, under high duress, stress, confusion, and quick movements, those groups are going to open up tremendously. I don't want to hope that 1 or 2 of my shots will hit the intended target, I want to make sure all my shots hit the target. :)

I would suggest practice. After you practice, practice some more. When you think you have it down, practice some more.

Once you get the foundation down, then move on to something like a laser. If you don't have the basic foundation, you won't hit where the laser is pointing. Looking at that, you need to work on trigger control.

Keep in mind, I am not calling you a bad shooter. You are a new shooter, there's no shame in that. Most of us remember some of our first groups, definitely not the best.

I would suggest practice. After you practice, practice some more. When you think you have it down, practice some more.

Once you get the foundation down, then move on to something like a laser. If you don't have the basic foundation, you won't hit where the laser is pointing. Looking at that, you need to work on trigger control.

Keep in mind, I am not calling you a bad shooter. You are a new shooter, there's no shame in that. Most of us remember some of our first groups, definitely not the best.

Speak for yourself loser. I was so awesome on my first time out I had people rooting me on like I was about to bowl a 300.

Speak for yourself loser. I was so awesome on my first time out I had people rooting me on like I was about to bowl a 300.

There's a difference between screaming from fear, and rooting someone on.