CR Camera Guys ????

bahd-ler

I want to buy a nice camera, not just the average point and shoot. I have narrowed it down to Nikon and Canon, but am open to others. I want to spend between $350 - $500. I have been looking at the "cross-breeds" like canon SK 20 or the nikon p90. Then I got to thinking if I'm going to get a camera that big (one I have to carry in something other than my back pocket) why not just get SLR. I'm new to photography and most likely won't use anyone of these to it's full potential, but I always say that when buying shit like this and after about a year or to have it mastered. I just want to take really nice pictures. Any suggestions? Is there anything wrong with buying used?

I love my D50 and my 50mm f1.8D lens. I never use a zoom lens, and that thing is fast as shit. Love the low light pics with no flash of kids and family. Flash pics suck. Buy a "Good" lens, that's were your spend you cash. Although I feel my Nikkor 50mm was a steal at $135 shipped.

http://www.adorama.com/NK5018AFDU.html

I bought my Nikon used on e-bay for cheap. Works great over a year later. Great Battery life even.

This Sold me, Ken Rockwell's review:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/5018daf.htm

In case you are new to photography, let me emphasize that this inexpensive lens is as sharp and over twice as sensitive to dim light as the $1,700 24-70mm f/2.8AF-S lens. The reason to spend sixteen times as much is simply to get a lens that can zoom. With this fixed 50mm you have to move forward and back to compose your photo. No big deal.

If you need super sharpness and a fast aperture than choose this over a zoom at the same price.

This is my favorite pic of my daughter: Taken in a room with a window on a cloudy day as the only light with no flash and no tripod. I am a very very amateur photographer. I love low depth of field pics though.

http://gallery.me.com/bbotte/100107/GabrielleOreo5/web.jpg

Edited by Benjamin

You can't go wrong with either Canon or Nikon (I went with Canon cause I got a Rebel kit at a great price, then upgraded to a 40d), but since you're going to be making a commitment to a particular system, figure out which focal lengths you are most interested in shooting in(what type of photography you will be doing most), and then research who's lenses perform better in that range for your budget. Once you start getting into L glass prices though, you probably won't be too let down by any of them.

In that price range you'll likely need to look at the entry level Nikon and Canon units. I'm biased on Canon for selection of lenses. On the low end Nikons you'll limit yourself more than with the lower end Canons. However that depends on what you want to end up shooting with.

PM Casey, I gave him some input on his Nikon. I think he ended up with a kit combo from Cosco for a nice price. He however is a bit limited on the lenses for shooting his daughter in Gymnastics. I think he ended up getting the job done, but again, I've not followed up on the results or his thoughts.