ABS/TCS Lights On. Serious problems unfolding

Tripleskate

Well, two weeks ago to this day (Friday) I started my car and my ABS and TCS lights turned on for no reason. I didn't pay it any mind at first, thinking the were just "dummy lights" and it was just a misreading. Nope! I have no ABS or traction control any more. I said I'd take care of it when I have some time off.

Cut to today: Ohio got hit by the "mega blizzard" and People are driving like jackasses. While coming home from University I was on the freeway when the fella in front of me decided to slam on his brakes (he was riding the person in front of him's bumper). I do likewise, and of course, no abs brakes lock and the car starts sliding. As soon as my brakes locked, my entire car turned off and the steering wheel locked on the freeway. This caused the car to start sliding sideways, I hit about a 45* "drift angle". Needless to say, I had a minor heart attack and restarted my car. Thankfully, my power steering came back. This has happened to me four times today where in an emergency situation I hit the brakes, they lock and my car turns off and my steering wheel locks up.

Any guesses as to what the problem is?

Edit: My guess is dirty/totaled ABS Sensor?

Needs to be looked at with a scan tool to see what is causing the malfunction, and diagnosed from there. Not much you'll be able to do.

I am kind of surprised that the car shuts off, is that just because you panic and leave the clutch out?

This has happened to me four times today where in an emergency situation I hit the brakes, they lock and my car turns off and my steering wheel locks up. Any guesses as to what the problem is?

Did you ever bring your car to a Toyota Dealership? :ninja:

if the lights are on, there are codes...most of which should be able to tell you what to start looking at first.

swing it by... i should be able to pull the codes...

do you have a connector for a 1995 3-series? I have the same problem and the a reason why I wrecked

Guest Removed
Shit.....Kellys is going to destroy me now.......... :(

dont go there....

take it to the other import shop that deals with them...im pretty sure there is a member here who may have the tool to pull your codes

Needs to be looked at with a scan tool to see what is causing the malfunction, and diagnosed from there. Not much you'll be able to do.

I am kind of surprised that the car shuts off, is that just because you panic and leave the clutch out?

Nope. That's what I thought at first but after it happened the first few times I "tested" it hitting the brakes while not in the gear. Car just turns off, I also noticed that the speedometer went crazy whenever this happened. It would go from whatever speed to "0" in a second even though I hadn't slowed down at all. It happened again on the way to work. I tried reading codes with my friend's scan tool but none ever came up?

Rob, I get off work mid-day tomorrow. I'll try and stop by provided the roads aren't total chaos.