Hey I'm the worst mechanic in the world, come on in and make fun of me.

SpaceGhost

When things go perfectly smooth after swapping something out I just have to sit there and gather myself for a minute just to make 200% sure everything is done.. then when the car/truck fires right up I'm shocked nothing went wrong.

+1.

At least the money you spent was for new parts, not someone else's half-ass labor. Look at it like you've added value to your ride. :)

The only fail I see is that you're a whiny, incompetent little bitch that can't replace a radiator hose without destroying half your car...

lol, j/k. This kind of crap is about par for the course for casual shade-tree mechanics. Do yourself a favor, though, and try to get hold of a factory service manual if you're gonna make a habit of doing your own work. They usually cost a bit, but you wouldn't've busted that bracket if you had one...

Guest Removed
The only fail I see is that you're a whiny, incompetent little bitch that can't replace a radiator hose without destroying half your car...

lol, j/k. This kind of crap is about par for the course for casual shade-tree mechanics. Do yourself a favor, though, and try to get hold of a factory service manual if you're gonna make a habit of doing your own work. They usually cost a bit, but you wouldn't've busted that bracket if you had one...

you might be right on the bracket, but every part has its limits. but how did the radiator break. A hose hook is a wonderful little tool. but it still cant fix weak, aged, heat cycled (lord knows how many times) plastic. shit happens. but the first thing, you call a customer and say "well the radiator neck has busted. while trying to remove the radiator hose,etc etc" and the first thing is, "well you touched it, you broke it, you're going to fix it" comes into play. well, hes fixing it.

and ben, i just remembered a henry ford quote for this

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.
p.s.s paint it hemi orange while your there :p

With all the weather and it's pretty boring around here, here's a good laugh.

Yes so in my attempt to play in the snow Friday I developed a hole in a Coolant hose. Yea! Fixed that for $15 Saturday, pulled the car out of the driveway and found my Power Steering was not working. Figured out to change the clamps and flush fluid to try to fix it. Well here is where I started my multiple failures in life. :) I get everything tightened up and go to reattach the line to the pump and I grab the wrong screw and bottom it out on the pump and it snaps off. DOh! So long story fast forwarded, can't get the screw out and I need a new pump. Ordered it.

So yesterday I go out and I might as well take the pump off and have it ready for the new one to go in. This was a mistake. I try to take it off with out removing the coolant hose I just replaced, (it sits right in front of the pump) I try, no go. So I go to remove the hose again. Get one end off and go to get it off the radiator and well I am working it off and SNAP my second failure, I SNAP the top of the radiator off with the hose. DOH! Go order Radiator.

SO now I can get the pump out easier, should have stopped, but no, not me. I get all the bolts out that I can see. The pump sits in a bracket that attaches also to the alternator that is adjustable so tension can be applied to the belt. I can't get this out, I can't see any other bolts so I think (another stupid thing of me to do) that maybe it's just stuck since it's 5 years old. So I tap on the bracket with a hammer and well, of course it cracks it where the alternator attaches. :) SO I then find one last bolt behind the pump buried behind and under some wires and vacuum lines. Remove it and the pump falls forward breaking the rest of the bracket off where it cracked. :D SO now I order the bracket. So let's tally:

hole in hose starts - $15 to replace + coolant

New pump $150

New radiator $160 + coolant

New Bracket $65

New belts since they are past due to be replaced $35

And Now since there will be nothing in the way of the Timing belt once I get the radiator out, I am kicking around the idea of replacing the water pump and Timing belt that will be due in about 20k miles. I wonder what else I will break doing that if I decide to tear into that? I really think I should do the timing belt and water pump so I don't have to tear into it for a long while.

Let's here the how bad of a failure I am. And should I let the Timing belt go so when it lets go, I can just drop in a built engine in 30k miles? :D

If you want to get the timing belt done and have not done it shoot me a pm.

you might be right on the bracket, but every part has its limits. but how did the radiator break. A hose hook is a wonderful little tool. but it still cant fix weak, aged, heat cycled (lord knows how many times) plastic. shit happens.

Absolutely. The radiator busting is so far out of left field I just marked it up as a part failure. One of the reasons I want an aluminum dual-core to replace my POS overheated, single-core, plastic-tanked radiator in the Buick.

Nevertheless, a good manual would have told him that bolt was there. I figure my FSM has paid for the $75 purchase at least three times already, just in shit I haven't broken.

So the car is hard to start, we only tried it twice for two very short times. We triple checked out marks on the belt. Engine was turned over 10-15 times by hand by the crank pulley, it feels butter smooth. Nothing feels like it touches. It has sat for 7 days not started. And we did hand crank it over like I said 10-15 times. being late in the evening, Joe who was helping me wants to call Subaru and ask if there is anything special we should know, or if they are just hard to start afterwards. Anyone do a Timing belt on a WRX?