nhra approved gear?

Guest tbutera2112

Guest tbutera2112

i plan to hit the track rentals this year on my vmax, and it says that any bikes trapping more than 120 you have to wear full protective gear

so i found a website that lists tech requirements and it lists both of these without anything to distinguish which is needed for what

#

Note 4:

Motorcycle SFI Spec 40.1/1 or 40.1/2 suit or leather jacket, boots/shoes above the ankle, and gloves.

#

Note 5:

Motorcycle Full leathers or SFI Spec 40.1/2 suit mandatory. Two piece suits must be joined by a zipper at the waist.

http://www.racelegal.com/web/requirements.asp#motorcycle

i have a leather icon jacket with pads and all that in it, and i have some textile riding pants (forget the brand), normal work boots for over the heel protection, and i have a pair of riding gloves (i dont believe theyre leather, and im too lazy to go check)

is that enough? or do i have to have leather pants? i should be trapping more than 120, but i definately wont be faster than 10.0

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tbutera2112
Your gear has to have SFI labels inside of it to be legit. If they check they just want to see the SFI label.

ok...does that include gloves/boots or just the jacket and pants?

Guest tbutera2112

ok so i just got my jacket out, its an icon motorhead jacket and it has a label that says it does not count as personal protective equipment....that seems odd to me....

so with non SFI stuff am i ok if i dont go faster than 11.0 or 120mph?

Guest tbutera2112
Guest tbutera2112
If its the same one he had at the last track day then yup they wouldn't allow his

idk if it is or not...its a black icon jacket

did they check gloves and pants and all that?

Same here never had a problem, with checking the jackets and pants. Just must be leather for 120 plus mph. helmet must have dot and snell logos. Shoes must be leather and cover the ankle. Also must have a tethered kill switch attached to rider.

Before I had a full suit I wore a pair of leather pants from iron pony, the type a cruiser person would wear, had front and back pockets just like a pair of jeans.($99) Those with a Alpinestars jacket and had no problem.

Guest tbutera2112

my bike is a cruiser so i doubt theyre going to suspect 120+ out of it...ill just give it a shot with what i have and if they tell me i cant run it oh well, ill ride home and grab the stang...i only live 20mins away lol

thanks guys...not worth buying new gear, but atleast i know what to expect now....not interested in building a drag bike or anything, just wanted to play around a bit on it

Sa Also must have a tethered kill switch attached to rider.

What? So you can't run a stock bike at the track? What's the popular method for a tethered killswitch? Like the kind of jetskis and such? I've never heard anything about that reg before.

im pretty sure if its snell approved, it is also DOT approved

no.

My older helmet wasn't Snell approved but DOT, I updated to an Arai for that reason.

As for leathers you should be fine pending how the tech sees fit. Regulation wise you need full leathers, and the tethered killswitch. It cost 5 bucks and you can get everything from Lowes.

Don't skimp on gear no matter if your going <120 it's still going to hurt!

Guest tbutera2112

dover, i think you mis-read what i said

i didnt say DOT is equal to snell....i said if it is snell approved i think it will pass anything requiring dot because snell is above dot

i may look into the kill switch though

dover, i think you mis-read what i said

i didnt say DOT is equal to snell....i said if it is snell approved i think it will pass anything requiring dot because snell is above dot

i may look into the kill switch though

I read what you said but not everything that is DOT is Snell and vise versa.

Guest tbutera2112
I read what you said but not everything that is DOT is Snell and vise versa.

oh ok youre saying something can be snell rated but not dot approved? ive never heard of that

Guest tbutera2112
Yes like my GMAX helmet.

good deal, i had never heard of that..... now, do you need DOT/Snell both for the track? my helmet has both..just curious

also, do you think i could get away with textile pants like i posted in the link? if im trapping less than 120

Sorry for the confusion, to drag race it must be snell approved. ALL snells ARE dot approved.

Common kill switch is a small eyelet screwed into the plastic rocker on the handle bar. Then attach any kind of coil cord.

you could wear jeans if your under 120mph