Google Fiber

CRed05

You are 100% wasting your time even thinking you'll ever get that in Columbus. WWAAAAYYY too much competition in this city - WOW, Time Warner, Insight, AT&T DSL, wireless broadband from all the major providers...it isn't going to happen.

Running fiber to the home is VERY expensive, + monthly lease fees on poles - no way they could recoup the costs. The city doesn't own most of the poles in Columbus (AEP does), so they couldn't even offer them a break on the lease fee.

You are 100% wasting your time even thinking you'll ever get that in Columbus. WWAAAAYYY too much competition in this city - WOW, Time Warner, Insight, AT&T DSL, wireless broadband from all the major providers...it isn't going to happen.

Running fiber to the home is VERY expensive, + monthly lease fees on poles - no way they could recoup the costs. The city doesn't own most of the poles in Columbus (AEP does), so they couldn't even offer them a break on the lease fee.

Just fill out the foooooooooooooooooooooooorm

Were talking Google here. They don't give a fuck about cost. They don't give a fuck about competition. They will do something because they fucking can.

Not 100% true. The majority of the fiber is run under ground in Columbus. Also there is currently a 70 mile 20 lane fiber ring round Columbus. In English that is 20 1.5" conduit's ran in the 70 mile ring. The company I work for own's this ring. I would say with the right support there is a good chance Columbus could land this. Problem being getting the right support. Here is a map of the ring for those interested. http://www.columbusfiber.net/_GRAPHICS/globalgfx/fibernet_map.gif

Not 100% true. The majority of the fiber is run under ground in Columbus. Also there is currently a 70 mile 20 lane fiber ring round Columbus. In English that is 20 1.5" conduit's ran in the 70 mile ring. The company I work for own's this ring. I would say with the right support there is a good chance Columbus could land this. Problem being getting the right support. Here is a map of the ring for those interested. http://www.columbusfiber.net/_GRAPHICS/globalgfx/fibernet_map.gif

Put in a good word to the execs, Roundeye.

Were talking Google here. They don't give a fuck about cost. They don't give a fuck about competition. They will do something because they fucking can.

I bet their stock holders think otherwise.

I think fiber to the home would be awesome...but it's not going to happen. Think about it, most of the areas with money in Franklin County (ie the only people willing to pay for it), are in subburbs = even higher cost getting line out to them. Inner city people aren't going to pay for this...they are lucky to base the internet bill for the slowest speeds providers offer.

http://www.columbusfiber.net/_GRAPHICS/globalgfx/fibernet_map.gif

Lulz about the sides of town it does and doesn't go on.

Nitrousbird is just hating because it would because he works for a company this would hurt if it came to Columbus.

I filled the form out, thought I'd be very happy just to get FIOS here.

Hell, I'd settle for plain old base level broadband. But I filled out the form too cause anything is better than dial up, and my air card is expensive as hell for less than 1 meg up and down. I'd pay 80 - 100 a month for fiber without batting an eye. Since I could piggyback other services on it (like phone) in the end it would save me money.

Lulz about the sides of town it does and doesn't go on.

Nitrousbird is just hating because it would because he works for a company this would hurt if it came to Columbus.

I filled the form out, thought I'd be very happy just to get FIOS here.

I'm not hating...I'd love to have it. But I know the reality of this kind of business, and it just isn't going to.

WOW would be just fine if it came here. Hell, Uverse came here and we had a record breaking year. :)

I'll believe this when I see it.

Columbus or maybe it is the State of Ohio has a fiber ring connecting all of the schools just like Seattle. I engineered a bunch of it in the late 90s/early 2000s. There are tons of rings in Franklin County. The thing is, none of these have the capacity to deal with 1Gb/s X 50K to 500K people. We're talking about 12-24-48, and maybe 72 count fibers.

I was part of the Verizon Florida FiOS build a few years back and can tell you first hand that the old rings and little 72 count fibers weren't given a second look when they started talking about HD television and internet. Each house got their own fiber, then it went to hub/cross connect. From there the customer may share bandwidth on a fiber back to the office with up to 31 other customers.

Maybe Google or another vendor has discovered another way to do this. I just have not seen it yet.

Another thing, the expense of this project is hard to imagine. Especially not already being in the business and having some sort of infrastructure to build on. I cannot see this happening anywhere but a city that owns a ton of poles and /or manholes and duct space. It will almost have to be done entirely aerial where homes are already fed from a pole.