need some help with valves and rings...

Jonan1647545505

ive been struggling to get my 83 honda shadow 750 (vtwin) back on the road for too long now... i put 400mi on it last year and the rear cyl lost compression.

ive never rebuilt an engine, and would really like some one to help me.

im pretty mechanically inclined, ive changed the timing belts on a couple civics by myself, replaced a clutch on an 87 300zx, blah blah blah...

i would really like someone to work on it with me that knows what they are doing.

after looking into it i would like to reseat valves, check lifter settings and replace rings on both cyl. i have a repair manual. i also have and extra engine we might be able to get some parts off of, but the condition and miles are unknown...

i pay for you your time + food and beers

they bike is currently in westerville, and i really have no way of moving it or anywhere to work on it. i would need to borrow a trailer or truck, i have a ramp and i could borrow my dads escape to tow.

any ways i feel like im rambling so someone help me plz

• 2 weeks later...
you might have better luck over on ohio riders with this

I'd help ya but I don't know shit about motorcycles

i figured an engine is an engine...

chain driven cams, 2 cylinders, hydraulic tappets(still dont know what they are)....

over at OR one guy said he likes turtles :rolleyes: one guy asked what type of currency i would be offering.... seriously?

ive read the repair manual procedure at least 20 times now, seems easy enough, i was just hoping to tackle the job with someone who has at least taken an engine apart before... im not asking for an expert just someone willing and able to help...

ive replaced the head on a 2.2 chevy before, push rod motor, and taht was super easy but ive never done rings or valves...

oh well maybe someone will be able to help before all the white stuff melts...

i got a couple quotes from some motorcycle shops up in akron and their asking $1500-2000!!

parts are right around $350 so i was hoping to only spend maybe ~$600-650 total...

Guest Removed

no...with the way i am currently booked, i wouldnt have the time for a while or 2. plus you never know what your going to find once its torn down.

altho, i might know someone that can help...i'll talk it over with him and see what he says

no...with the way i am currently booked, i wouldnt have the time for a while or 2. plus you never know what your going to find once its torn down.

altho, i might know someone that can help...i'll talk it over with him and see what he says

thanks! i appreciate it!

let me know what he says

Don't just throw all the parts in containers, pop them through cardboard and mark where they came off the engine so you put them back in the same place... they may look identical but with valvetrains for example they have wear patterns that must match.

Ziplock freezer bags are your friend. A box of those and a sharpie will be worth the cost when it comes time to reasseble. Also a digital camera. When in doubt take a picture. from multiple angles, label everything. Did this with my LT1 tear down and it went back together like a snap.

Also, if you want the heads rebuilt I know a small machine shop I would recommend. He can replace valve guides, recut the valve seats, cut the valves, etc... Hell, if you want titanium valves he can make them.