Computer Guru's

dover

Well my hard drive in my MacBook died yesterday. I took it to Mac they ran their diagnostics and figured it out, I got the hook up and got a Seagate 500gb that runs at 7200, compared to the 160gb that ran at 5400 that was in it before. Problem is I still have stuff on that hard drive. Best Buy's Geek Squad told me they couldn't recover it, but is there somewhere else I can go to see maybe if they could?

FYI fuck the P/X (AAFES) I bought their extended warranty for 80 bucks when I bought the Mac and I called them and they gave me the run around on it.

The data can be recovered.

http://www.adrdatarecovery.com/columbus.html

Hold on to your wallet though. When I had a drive crash, I got estimates in the 800-1000 range to recover the data.

One more thing... if the drive had a mechanical failure the only way to get the info is to pull the platter. You could try it yourself if you get the same type drive and try to swap the platter into the new drive. you have to make yourself a VERY clean area, and you will have one chance.

Sometimes you can plug the drive into your usb port via an adapter and grab what you need off of it, as long as it didn't have a mechanical failure. If it had mechanical short it sending it somewhere you are SOL.

Back up your data!!! I external HD is cheap these days.

I have a handful of tools I have used in the past to recovery stuff. As it was said before, so long as it has a bit of life left in it, we should be able to recover it. I'd be happy to check on the drives health and/or try a few things to recover some data. If you don't find anything, and want me to give a shot, pm me ect.

Mechanical fail would be incredibly difficult to replace.

If its a controller fail or something else otherwise, you can replace the boards on HDDs without too much trouble. Just buy the same exact drive. The boards are usually held on buy a few screws and little push-in connectors.

I am taking it to Jones soon so see if he can fix it but like I had mentioned to him when it was inside the Mac connected it made the clicking noise of death.. chances are looking slim, I called iTunes and they gave me all $1,200 of my purchases back. So I feel a little better.