DSLR Recommendations

mrblunt

Our SD780 just isn't cutting it for action shots of my daughters cheer competitions so I think it's time I splurge on a DSLR. I'm doing lots of reading on dpreview.com and other photoblog sites but looking for some recommendations. We're heading to DC next weekend so not only would I be shooting her competition but I'll also be taking some shots of the nations capital. I'm looking at something in the realm of a D40 or a XS or XSi. I'd like to get something used in the 350-500 range. Anyone know of a killer deal??

I love the little camera, it takes some great shots. These settings are low light and with lots of motion so the p&s just isn't keeping up and a lot of shots come out very blurry.

I dont know a lot about photography and havent had the time to dedicate to learning more. I'd love to take a class or sit down with someone who could give me some knowledge on taking better shots.

Im sure Tim will cover it with you...but

For Rich, a Canon SD780 isnt going to keep up with the speed of a cheer competition in a gym or convention center, with the lighting available.

My recommendation like Tims is go for Canon. I will recommend Canon over any other body, for the sole reason of future Lens selection. No manufacturer has the vast lens selection as Canon. Go for what you can afford really. It would appear that you may want to go used with the price range your looking for. And know that a fast lens will help you greatly. Thats when more money comes into play.

For shooting indoor, I would recommend a Lens with capabilties of 2.8 and faster. I shoot many cheer competitions, wrestling matches, and basketball with a 2.8 Years ago one lens I wish I hadnt gotten rid of was a Canon 85 1.8 (its a prime so there is no zoom) but its a very quick focusing low light lens. I would highly recommned it to someone stepping into DSLR's and needing a quick lens. Because it gets expensive fast.

The only other thing is, stepping into a DSLR and an expensive lens, isnt going to get you all the shots you expect. It takes some practice. Its not a Point and Shoot. Dont get me wrong, you'll get some great ones. But when you're shooting low light, with 2.8 or faster, you also have to deal with a very shallow Depth Of Field.

Theres a lot to it. If there's anything that Tim has offer up to you. Throw it in here. One of us will get back to you. And Good Luck!

Kevin, you must have listened in on our phone conversation :D

I also suggested the 100mm f/2. I use it and love it. That and the 85mm are not only fast glass but have the focus speed to keep up with the action. Great for portraits too.

Im sure Tim will cover it with you...but

For Rich, a Canon SD780 isnt going to keep up with the speed of a cheer competition in a gym or convention center, with the lighting available.

My recommendation like Tims is go for Canon. I will recommend Canon over any other body, for the sole reason of future Lens selection. No manufacturer has the vast lens selection as Canon. Go for what you can afford really. It would appear that you may want to go used with the price range your looking for. And know that a fast lens will help you greatly. Thats when more money comes into play.

For shooting indoor, I would recommend a Lens with capabilties of 2.8 and faster. I shoot many cheer competitions, wrestling matches, and basketball with a 2.8 Years ago one lens I wish I hadnt gotten rid of was a Canon 85 1.8 (its a prime so there is no zoom) but its a very quick focusing low light lens. I would highly recommned it to someone stepping into DSLR's and needing a quick lens. Because it gets expensive fast.

The only other thing is, stepping into a DSLR and an expensive lens, isnt going to get you all the shots you expect. It takes some practice. Its not a Point and Shoot. Dont get me wrong, you'll get some great ones. But when you're shooting low light, with 2.8 or faster, you also have to deal with a very shallow Depth Of Field.

There's a lot to it. If there's anything that Tim has offer up to you. Throw it in here. One of us will get back to you. And Good Luck!

:ninja: yes, the monopod will help. I'll bring one for him to use and try out with when we go shooting here soon. I use one even with my Stabilized lenses. Not only for added stability, but because 4-8lbs of gear hand-held gets heavy :o

I wonder if he may benefit from a mono-pod to help stabilize the camera some with the conditions.

I agree that the 350-500 price range is not going to get the results that he is expecting.

Edited by TTQ B4U

I also suggested the 100mm f/2. I use it and love it. That and the 85mm are not only fast glass but have the focus speed to keep up with the action. Great for portraits too.

yes, the monopod will help. I'll bring one for him to use and try out with when we go shooting here soon. I use one even with my Stabilized lenses. Not only for added stability, but because 4-8lbs of gear hand-held gets heavy :o

For sure, the 100 and the 85 are both great choices for fast focusing glass. And if I recall they're right around the same price.

If you guys want to take the 70-200 2.8IS for a spin let me know.

Hmm, you must have done a ninja edit, because I swear the lower text was not there!

At the minimum an XSI + an F2.8 lens. Not sure how close you get to the competition or if flash is allowed.

If you go down to Mid West Photo on High St they might be able to hook you up with a nice Tokina or Sigma Lens if you need to keep the price down over a Canon "L" series.

Another small problem with a DSLR is that you probably won't be happy with the photos until you learn how to use it (AUTOMATIC was not really meant to be taken seriously on those cameras.) The good news is you'll be entering a new hobby:-)

Yes. That's a great lens and the one I mentioned. You'll use it a lot. Again, I'll work with you on making the most of the equipment and how to post process them. You'll never again use that "green" fully automatic mode. Pun intended...once you go manual, you'll never go back to an auto.

On the 1.6 sensor those lense are gonna be tight and no zoom might be a problem. Primes are something a person learns to use and developes a style to use them. I'd think the 70-200 would be more appropriate for sports (especially since most of the glass at a major sporting event is white.)

Here are some samples for both,

85 1.8

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=140371

100 2.0

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=226590

Navigate back to the main page and join there, great resource for learning things you've never even thought imaginable.

On the 1.6 sensor those lense are gonna be tight and no zoom might be a problem. Primes are something a person learns to use and developes a style to use them. I'd think the 70-200 would be more appropriate for sports (especially since most of the glass at a major sporting event is white.)

In this case, Chad should be fine with Primes. He's shooting indoor gymnastics and has room to move. Costs of the 70-200 will put him out of the budget range he's targeting.

Absolutely. Having kids and living around the corner, the Zoo is our summertime hot spot. :o

A fun trip we've done with some friends and their kids is Dayton and Cinci. Airforce Museum, great dinner, hotel stay and fun in pool at the hotel. Next day, Cinci Aquarium, dinner and fun along the river at night. Last day, Cinci Zoo and trip home.

We need a CR photog trip to the track or zoo or something, would be good fun.

:ninja: yes, the monopod will help. I'll bring one for him to use and try out with when we go shooting here soon. I use one even with my Stabilized lenses. Not only for added stability, but because 4-8lbs of gear hand-held gets heavy :o

No kidding on the weight. I need a new monopod. my current one cannot support the weight of my camera and lens.

I would have do disagree about the lens being tight, they're not. I've shot with both. When I shoot with my 70-200 Im shooting over the 100 mark all day.

You have to learn with any lens.

As for weight the 70-200 2.8IS is a heavy SOB when you hand hold shots for 3 hours at at time.

EDIT: Im currently in the process of putting together a shooting event, for Columbus photographers on another forum, for spring.

Havent got a whole lot of people yet maybe just 5 but was going to put something up here as we got closer. These are all Canon guys.

I recommend this site to any and all, no matte what they shoot with.

www.photography-on-the.net/forum

I would have do disagree about the lens being tight, they're not. I've shot with both. When I shoot with my 70-200 Im shooting over the 100 mark all day.

You have to learn with any lens.

As for weight the 70-200 2.8IS is a heavy SOB when you hand hold shots for 3 hours at at time.

EDIT: Im currently in the process of putting together a shooting event, for Columbus photographers on another forum, for spring.

Havent got a whole lot of people yet maybe just 5 but was going to put something up here as we got closer. These are all Canon guys.

I recommend this site to any and all, no matte what they shoot with.

www.photography-on-the.net/forum

I shoot with Nikon, but might be interested in your event.

For sure, the is just a Canon centered board that it's organized on, but everyone one is welcome.

We are just going to share experience, information, outdoor portrait locations, things like that. Then we all go out and shoot together for the day.

I looked at POTN a little bit, but seemed to annoying for my tastes. I'm on http://www.fredmiranda.com for the wedding section.

I surf FM but I dont like the ways its organized.

POTN, has great organization, and is a great place for learning anything, quickly. What about it was annoying to you?

Oh incase you didnt know. Midwest Photo Exchange's webpage is MPEX.com

I'm in there all the time.