DSLR Recommendations

mrblunt

You drive a Dodge too, but we are pretty forgiving :p

Sounds like a great plan Kevin. All of us are on different forums which is nice too. We have a myriad of shooters and venues focused on too. I typical do corporate photos, corporate events, sporting events and parties, etc... I actually do more with editing client photos than I do taking my own. Found my niche I guess. One often supports the other too as most of my events lead to editing clients.

I shoot with Nikon, but might be interested in your event.

Chad, as you can see, you'll have plenty of support. I also apologize that we officially hijacked your thread.

I checked MPEX rental prices and WOW. I think I'll try to pick up the 50 1.4 for my next wedding. I have the 50 1.8, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. To me it makes everything look "red" or underexposed compared to my other lenses and it almost can't focus, but what would you expect for a sub $100 lens.

I checked MPEX rental prices and WOW. I think I'll try to pick up the 50 1.4 for my next wedding. I have the 50 1.8, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. To me it makes everything look "red" or underexposed compared to my other lenses and it almost can't focus, but what would you expect for a sub $100 lens.

Just a heads up that is sounds like you have a bad copy of the f/1.8 That said, the 1.4 will pull down a creamier bokeh for your wedding shots. However, the f/1.8 is about the best value out there all things considering. You can try mine if we get out and about to shoot so that you can compare them. Focus locks right on in most all situations. Will only track 3fps in motion shots though. Not having USM it will not be quite as accurate though. However, drop the camera to 3fps shooting speed and it will keep up just fine focus wise. I used it for a few indoor soccer sequences this past fall and it was decent.

What would you guys recommend for macro photography? Most of my photographs are taken of inanimate objects at <3ft. My Canon SD1000 takes great P&S pictures, but when it comes to 'artsy' up close shots, it falls short. If I'm taking a shot within 6" (which I do a lot), it can't focus that low. I've messed with every setting in that thing, in manual mode, and can't seem to get a good quality macro picture. I'm no photog guru, so maybe it's just me.

Would you guys recommend a DSLR with some sort of macro lens for my application? Possibly some photoshop education?

What would you guys recommend for macro photography? Most of my photographs are taken of inanimate objects at <3ft. My Canon SD1000 takes great P&S pictures, but when it comes to 'artsy' up close shots, it falls short. If I'm taking a shot within 6" (which I do a lot), it can't focus that low. I've messed with every setting in that thing, in manual mode, and can't seem to get a good quality macro picture. I'm no photog guru, so maybe it's just me.

Would you guys recommend a DSLR with some sort of macro lens for my application? Possibly some photoshop education?

What types of stuff are you taking photos of? Guns/bullets :D

Seriously....let me know. You can pick up a really nice light box set up at Wallmart for like $50. I'll post pics of my set up. Some make them, I prefer to buy the good stuff and take it with me where needed. It's how I get a lot of my little studio shots when needed. I'll post back some pics.

Camera wise, a DSLR is great and if you went Canon, they make a series of 60mm/100mm Macro lenses. Tameron make a really nice 90 Macro too. However, consider costs vs. what your hobby / need is.

IMO, get a small P&S that is noted to do well for macro work. Toss in a $15 mini tripod and call it a day. I literally use a very inexpensive Fuji F20 that is now since been replaced, but you get my point. I paid $120 for the camera and $15 for the tripod and wait to you see the results. Again, I'll post back.

I can show you the tips and tricks easy enough. Just PM or call me anytime. You'll have a PM shortly.

My canon S2IS had "super macro" mode which could focus on objects in contact with the glass.

Actually now that you reminded me of that I think I'll bring it along next time I shoot a ring closeup.

If you got a DSLR most wedding photogs use the Canon 100mm Macro lens for things like that FYI.

My SD780 takes excellent macro shots. I was VERY impressed with its macro performance. I did a lot of research before getting it and I have nothing but great things to say about it, when used within its capabilities. The 720p video it takes looks pretty darn good on my 55" LED tv too. I had it in my pocket all day today and couldnt even tell it was there. Its just a little thicker than my blackberry.

My canon S2IS had "super macro" mode which could focus on objects in contact with the glass.

Actually now that you reminded me of that I think I'll bring it along next time I shoot a ring closeup.

If you got a DSLR most wedding photogs use the Canon 100mm Macro lens for things like that FYI.

Imagine this.....I call it fate man :D Austin, it's a nice camera too. Patrick...my MS3 twin has one. BIGGU I believe is his screen name.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77461

Here's the inexpensive set up that I use with excellent results. Folds up and carries really nicely. picked mine up at Wallmart years ago. It's what I used to shoot the wasp nest shots. No additional lighting was used either.

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/114838785/original

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/114854315/original

Digital Concepts Ps-101 Portable Lighting Studio

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Concepts-Ps-101-Portable-Lighting/dp/B000FBF400

What types of stuff are you taking photos of? Guns/bullets :D

Seriously....let me know. You can pick up a really nice light box set up at Wallmart for like $50. I'll post pics of my set up. Some make them, I prefer to buy the good stuff and take it with me where needed. It's how I get a lot of my little studio shots when needed. I'll post back some pics.

Camera wise, a DSLR is great and if you went Canon, they make a series of 60mm/100mm Macro lenses. Tameron make a really nice 90 Macro too. However, consider costs vs. what your hobby / need is.

IMO, get a small P&S that is noted to do well for macro work. Toss in a $15 mini tripod and call it a day. I literally use a very inexpensive Fuji F20 that is now since been replaced, but you get my point. I paid $120 for the camera and $15 for the tripod and wait to you see the results. Again, I'll post back.

I can show you the tips and tricks easy enough. Just PM or call me anytime. You'll have a PM shortly.

Oddly, yes. Gun boards usually have huge threads full of weapon pics. Photography seems to go really well with guns for some reason.

And you're right, I think I'm in desperate need of a light box. If I leave my flash on, it washes out the pic. If I turn it off, the camera won't focus.

I might try a box before buying anything new. Some of these guys can make a really shitty gun look like gold with their pictures, and mine always look like shit.

I had that camera and the macro mode was superb.

Oddly, yes. Gun boards usually have huge threads full of weapon pics. Photography seems to go really well with guns for some reason.

And you're right, I think I'm in desperate need of a light box. If I leave my flash on, it washes out the pic. If I turn it off, the camera won't focus.

I might try a box before buying anything new. Some of these guys can make a really shitty gun look like gold with their pictures, and mine always look like shit.

For lighting, you might check out http://strobist.blogspot.com/

I've been reading through that site and picked up a stand, swivel, super clamp, and umbrella at Midwest photo over the weekend for $99. (I already have an SB-800 flash)

Something you can try is put a layer or two of white nylon over your flash. It will reduce the output on it and create softer light.

Or you can hold an index card in front of it and angle it so the light bounces towards your ceiling. This would be best done in manual mode so that you can adjust the light with your camera's aperture.

Something you can try is put a layer or two of white nylon over your flash. It will reduce the output on it and create softer light.

Or you can hold an index card in front of it and angle it so the light bounces towards your ceiling. This would be best done in manual mode so that you can adjust the light with your camera's aperture.

:thumbup: