Project Bolt On: My '01 3.8 V6 Mustang

KStang3.8

So i've steered away from supercharging with the M112 for one reason, Money. The 4000 i was gonna spend on that project is now being put into a savings account to be used on buying a much nicer car that comes fast stock (evo IX, STi, etc.). I still want to spend a little more on my car, so here we go.

I come to you all seeking advice/ opinions.

#1 BBK 65mm throttle body.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-70mm-throttlebody-01-04v6.html

everyone tells me its a waste of money. only do it if you're planning on forced induction, etc, etc. Read the reviews. All those V6 owners say they love the new throttle response and feel a little more power and better, smoother acceleration. As a V6 owner that is well in tune with my car, i feel like i'd love those differences as well. So anyone think this is a good or bad idea? why?

#2 Underdrive Pulley

http://steeda.com/products/v6_underdrive_pulley.php

everyone says theyre a great, basic mod. disagreements?

#3 Upper Intake Spacer

http://vapauto.com/spacers1.htm

any reason i should steer clear?

#4 Lowering springs

http://www.americanmuscle.com/eibach-pro-springs-79-04-v6.html

Mostly for appearance, hoping for improved handling though.

waste of my money? will i notice a handling difference?

considering #5 Sway Bar

http://www.americanmuscle.com/sttufrswbar.html

I don't plan on autocrossing, i just figured it'd make the daily drive a little more fun. Am i correct? or wasting my money?

Also i was hoping to do alot of this install myself, with a friends help who knows alot more about cars than me. I know the TB would be easy, and prob the sway bar right? how hard is the rest? the UDP, Springs, and Spacer? is there some tool that only a special shop would have?

thanks for tips/advice/info.

i used graduation money to buy the $1000 worth of parts for supercharging that i'm selling. so i'm gonna use it on these parts instead. 30% of every pay check is going into a savings account, i'm gonna have more than enough 4-5 years from now when i want another car. so i'm buying these parts.

okay i've got a push for the suspension and a NO GO on the TB. why do you say i shouldn't go for the TB? like i said if you read the reviews all those people say its awesome, what have you heard to the contrary?

anything to say about the spacer or UDP?

Guest Removed
spacer, control arm, and the pullies= waste of money

these pick up more from the pulley then the TB would..

id so gears tho...more seat of the pants hp then any thing...might just put some kick back in its step

these pick up more from the pulley then the TB would..

id so gears tho...more seat of the pants hp then any thing...might just put some kick back in its step

:D yes, 4.10s FTW! nothing better than a non heads/cam, NA GT running 13.1's

i have exhasust, CAI, posi, 4.10's, and 93 octane tune, so i'm looking to add to that. to be clear its not a TB spacer, its an upper intake spacer. its only 120 and its like 7rwhp 7rwtq.

is there a reason you say it and those other things are a waste of money?

Guest Removed
i have exhasust, CAI, posi, 4.10's, and 93 octane tune, so i'm looking to add to that. to be clear its not a TB spacer, its an upper intake spacer. its only 120 and its like 7rwhp 7rwtq.

is there a reason you say it and those other things are a waste of money?

upper spacer...cooler intake charge.

pullies...call it done..unless you ad a 50 shot and a retune

gearheadz, i'm diggin the adivce. lets say i scrapped all these bolt ons and went for a cam.

sonicstang03 told me supersix quoted him 650 ish for the cam. how much would install be? is this 1 modification on its own better than buying all of those other things together? would i require a dyno tune? thats another $400 ish right?

throw some numbers at me.

gearheadz, i'm diggin the adivce. lets say i scrapped all these bolt ons and went for a cam.

sonicstang03 told me supersix quoted him 650 ish for the cam. how much would install be? is this 1 modification on its own better than buying all of those other things together? would i require a dyno tune? thats another $400 ish right?

throw some numbers at me.

my names not rob, but do you need a chip? a full chip/tune will run you about 500$.

are you just going a cam? or heads also? heads/cam could pick up 30-40 hp.

you will eventually hit a wall with boltons. right around 260. heads cam will put you right at 300.

Guest Removed

its 14 hours to do cam and springs.

thats 700 plus gaskets and fluids.

but that one mod add's up to more then all the bolts on and then some.

buy the time you add up cam and springs, gaskets labor and a tune.

yes it will need retuned my pricing on tuning isnt that low. that one thing im not the cheapest on. and not something you would want to cheap out on

IMO, cam isnt worth it. now a 4.2 truck motor swap with a cam and head work would be more like it.

unless i can talk chad into making you a test car for a turbo kit for the v-6 cars. could get you a hookup on all that too! if chad wants to do the v-6 car tho...i think his next one is a lsx car

600+700 install+500 tune is 1800.... almost 2 grand.....not worth it i would agree.

i'd love to really dive into the engine like that, but i'm really not looking to spend any more than a grand more on this car.

i read something somewhere about v6 test cars for a turbo kit. what're the details on that? this is really my daily driver and needs to get me to work everyday, so if its gonna be in the shop for weeks and getting hardcore dyno and track tested i wouldn't like that. whatre the details on that?

also you advocated 50 shot NOS, thats within my pricerange. will that do any harm to my car? how many uses do i get out of 1 tank? and how much is a refill? does it require a dyno tune?

Guest Removed
600+700 install+500 tune is 1800.... almost 2 grand.....not worth it i would agree.

i'd love to really dive into the engine like that, but i'm really not looking to spend any more than a grand more on this car.

i read something somewhere about v6 test cars for a turbo kit. what're the details on that? this is really my daily driver and needs to get me to work everyday, so if its gonna be in the shop for weeks and getting hardcore dyno and track tested i wouldn't like that. whatre the details on that?

also you advocated 50 shot NOS, thats within my pricerange. will that do any harm to my car? how many uses do i get out of 1 tank? and how much is a refill? does it require a dyno tune?

on a small shot, set up correctly and tuned for it, i was getting 16 pass's to a bottom on a 50 shot dry in a 4 banger car.

and the tanks lasts longer if you stay off the button. and so will the motor...lol pushing it to much to hard will kill it.

the turbo stuff takes a few months. and to make a mock up kit, set it out, get the first on back, deal with fitment issues, then go from there...no track testing...where did you see this posted tho?

might not be the same thing, it was on 3.8mustang forums. not sure how old the thread was, just stumbled upon it. it was just talking about a guy who was opening up a shop and wanted to find test cars to build turbo kits for the v6 crowd.

doesn't sound like something i could do though.

NOS seems like it'd add up too. 500 for the stuff. 400-500 for the tune. plus install. i still favor the bolt ons over that i think.

also, in my daily driver, are the suspension upgrades worth the money? will i even notice? i'm a guy who likes to drive fast around the neighborhood and in drive to work and such. will suspension mods make these drives more enjoyable? or are they a waste?

oh also. is installing any of that hard? if its beyond basic the answer is yes. are any of those things beyond someone who can do basic bolt ons? if so how much would they cost me in the shop? you are conveniently located right across 270 from my place of work ;) lol

Another idea to add to your list, get an intake manifold off a Ford Windstar.

Believe it or not they broaden your torque curve and up your peak torque by around 10 lb/ft ish. You can find one at your local junkyard for cheap, and port/polish it to fit the ports on your motor.

"also, in my daily driver, are the suspension upgrades worth the money? will i even notice? i'm a guy who likes to drive fast around the neighborhood and in drive to work and such. will suspension mods make these drives more enjoyable? or are they a waste?

oh also. is installing any of that hard? if its beyond basic the answer is yes. are any of those things beyond someone who can do basic bolt ons? if so how much would they cost me in the shop? you are conveniently located right across 270 from my place of work lol"