File permission question quick...Windows

Putty

I am running Win 7. I am trying edit my hosts file. Only two accts on the box. Mine, admin...Wife's, standard user. When I edit this file, I cannot save it. Tells me I don't have rights to. I can't right-click the file and add my username to acl. I am not able to make changes at all to system files? Ideas why?

The account you are logged in with is not a local admin. Make sure you are logged into a local admin account, right click my computer -> manage -> users and groups -> groups -> administrators, and add all accounts in to give everyone full admin rights, then you should be able to make the changes.

or even better run notepad as administrator by right clicking on it and then opening the hosts file from notepad. since the process is running with escalated privileges it will be able to save, and you dont have to go and make your computer less secure by making your account a super admin.

The account you are logged in with is not a local admin. Make sure you are logged into a local admin account, right click my computer -> manage -> users and groups -> groups -> administrators, and add all accounts in to give everyone full admin rights, then you should be able to make the changes.

My acct is already there.

or even better run notepad as administrator by right clicking on it and then opening the hosts file from notepad. since the process is running with escalated privileges it will be able to save, and you dont have to go and make your computer less secure by making your account a super admin.

This worked...Thanks