Bad Main Relay or Fuel Pump?

SiColin

When I started my car today after work it turned straight on like normal. But it was making this weird noise but it wasnt coming from under the hood more like inside the car. Well I drove about 20 minutes home and when I got off the highway the car started bogging a little bit at low rpms. As soon as I would give the car a little gas it would go away as I kept the rpms up. I made it home ok and turned the car off.

I went back outside probably like an hour or so later do check out the car and sure enough it wont start. Its getting power and cranks over but not starting. I checked for spark and its getting it. I'm running a walbro 255lph fuel pump so its real loud when it primes. So I turn the key to on to see if its priming and it is but its not nearly as loud as it usually is when it primes. Seems very weak. So I went ahead and pulled the pump out and threw in a stock one I had sitting around to see if the pump was bad. I got the stock pump in and the car still wont start. According to my fuel pressure gauge the car isnt building any fuel pressure.

Could this be a faulty fuel pump or is the main relay bad since ive never replaced it? The lack of fuel pressure although makes me think that the fuel pump is bad.

Any thoughts or suggestions, am I missing something. I would hate to go to jegs tomorrow and get a new pump and it turn out not to be the problem. I know the one I have currently is probably about 4 years old.

fuel pressure....you dont have it...walbros are cheap....cause they fail.

he said he put the stock pump back in and still no start, op if you had to modify the harness for the aftermarket pump make sure all the pump wiring is correct

No modifying of the stock harness for the pump. Walbro's for my car plug right into the stock plug. I did pull a plug out and there was no fuel getting to the cylinders.

When I did pull the walbro it was missing the filter attached to the end, so now I think its floating around somewhere in my fuel tank. But ill save that for another day.

Alright well I guess im going to try the relay first since its cheaper then a fuel pump. The walbro sounded so weak when it was priming and usually its real loud. Thats why I was kind of leaning toward it been bad. The stock pump I threw in had been sitting forever but like you said ive never seen one fail.

Edited by SiColin
bad grammar

Sounds like a relay to me, since you put the stock pump in and still got nothing out of the injectors.

EDIT: Just re-read where the stock pump had been sitting for a while. I'd see if I could find a stocker that I know to be good from a friend and try that one before you go drop money on anything.

Well got the car to start.

I went ahead and put some new plugs in it. Then I fished out the filter floating around in the tank. I cleaned up the connections on the plug leading to the fuel pump since there was all this putty looking stuff down around the pins. Put back in the walbro with a new filter and put about 2 1/2 gallons worth of gas in. Primed the car a few times, then it started right up. Drove it around a little bit runs fine no bogging air/fuel where it should be. Built Boost fine and fuel pressure is where it should be on the guage.

Still seems like the pump is quieter then normal and might need replaced but im hoping it was just a bad tank of gas. I'll see if it starts again here in a little bit to make sure everythings still ok.