Simple rodding

zeitgeist57

I've been out in Colorado maxing and relaxing, with my mind frequently turning to cars and my current projects...more like "things-needing-to-be-repaired".

As my life progresses from a career and family standpoint, I find my car desires turning more towards simplicity: fun "driver's car" with a unique character and simple vehicle systems to modify and maintain. To this end, after a lot of waffling, I think I've narrowed my choices to two platforms.

VW Bug: Late 60's to early '70s. Not a convertible, preferably a ragtop (hardtop with a center cloth/vinyl slider).

Corvair: '65-'69 sedan (without the B-pillar), or 2-door hardtop.

Either one would be lowered, with minor powertrain updates for improved performance and reliability. Wheels/tires would be the most expensive upgrade. Prefer to keep the vehicle purchase price under $5k, with room in the budget for upgrades.

Opinions?

I've got a friend in Cincinnati who runs a shop that specializes in old VWs and Porsches. He could answer any questions you might have, if you want pm me and I can give him a call. I don't know much about the Corvair but the bugs are very well supported in terms of mods, and replacement parts. The floorpans love to rot out but a 1,000 factories in Brazil make $50 pans for them. The corvair is probably much more powerful than the bug.

Talked to another friend, he says the ragtop is hard to find. 1967+ is the year to have as it is 12V electrics. He said he was looking at at rusty '68 and they guy wouldn't come below $3500. The bugs are somewhat valuable anymore. How much of a project are you looking for? The other friend I mentioned has about 15 of them sitting behind his shop, but they are pretty far gone and he thinks most of them are worth big bucks.

they made the body style bug your looking for in mexico untill the 80's search for sale adds and car trader rags from the west and southwest you'll need to travel to find a clean one but its worth your time anything midwest or east is going to be rusty or the people will want a fortune for it if its clean

Opinions?

Yeah, I got a few of those. ;)

It all started going terribly wrong when you said you were relaxing in Colorado thinking about things you needed to fix on your vehicles back here in Ohio. When you're wrenching on your vehicles, are you dreaming about vacationing in Colorado?

I also had a hard time wrapping my mind around the terms "performance" and "reliability" being applied to the Corvair or the old Bug. Is it possible to make those cars more reliable and better performing? Sure it is. But to do it simply and cheaply, as you propose? Hmmmm. More challenging IMO than starting with another platform.

And you also said "fun driver's car." Have you spent much time in the driver's seat of either of these? I have, and they aren't my cup o' tea. And I think a stretch limo is fun to drive.

You mentioned family and career, and I know you take your responsibilites very seriously. Your safety, and your passenger's safety are sure to be important considerations for you. Although no vehicle is perfectly safe, how will you feel in Columbus traffic in your Corvair ("Unsafe at any speed") or old Beetle (no air bags, no collision crumple zones, hard metal all over the interior) driving amongst the soccer moms talking on their cellphones and driving their Escalades full of screaming kids?

All that aside, if you still want either of those cars, I would say get it. Get what you want--want what you get. My .02

It all started going terribly wrong when you said you were relaxing in Colorado thinking about things you needed to fix on your vehicles back here in Ohio. When you're wrenching on your vehicles, are you dreaming about vacationing in Colorado?

I also had a hard time wrapping my mind around the terms "performance" and "reliability" being applied to the Corvair or the old Bug. Is it possible to make those cars more reliable and better performing? Sure it is. But to do it simply and cheaply, as you propose? Hmmmm. More challenging IMO than starting with another platform.

And you also said "fun driver's car." Have you spent much time in the driver's seat of either of these? I have, and they aren't my cup o' tea. And I think a stretch limo is fun to drive.

You mentioned family and career, and I know you take your responsibilites very seriously. Your safety, and your passenger's safety are sure to be important considerations for you. Although no vehicle is perfectly safe, how will you feel in Columbus traffic in your Corvair ("Unsafe at any speed") or old Beetle (no air bags, no collision crumple zones, hard metal all over the interior) driving amongst the soccer moms talking on their cellphones and driving their Escalades full of screaming kids?

All that aside, if you still want either of those cars, I would say get it. Get what you want--want what you get. My .02

holy shit you just killed his whole vacation thinking process.

holy shit you just killed his whole vacation thinking process.

Meh, I did some skiing for 4 days too...my mind just wanders to automotive thoughts while I'm on the slow cruise up the chair lift. I was boring my wife something fierce with all of my car talk. :)

When I'm in Ohio, I tend to dream of Naples. Breckenridge vaycay was a pleasant surprise from my wife and in-laws for the career move. :)

Valid points about safety, Doc...I consider the Bug as my replacement for a motorcycle (which after Kenny I vowed never to get one): as elemental of a driving experience as I can get. Unsafe? Maybe so, but for city/highway driving I consider it to be safer than a motorcycle. The Corvair is essentially the GM equivalent of a Bug (in my mind) and a bit safer than people give it credit for. Either one would be a 4th or 5th car...if it breaks, my life continues uninterrupted. When the spirit moves me, I can bounce around in it. Not for my daughter/family to ride in unless they want to.

I'll admit that I've never driven a Corvair, but my friend in high school had one and I thought it was a fun ride. If I get one cheap enuff, I would overlook any driving dynamic shortcomings (like Cleetus...not perfect, but for what he does and how much he costs I let it go.) :)

With all the daydreaming of wrenching on cars while on vacation and boring of your wife with car talk, I might need to begin having afternoon tea with her. What's her cell number again ;)

I was boring my wife something fierce with all of my car talk. :)

in terms of cars...I get what you're talking about. Look at my buddy Jason...the guy from Cars and Coffee...with the Red GTI MK II......nice little project car, reliable, safe(er) and still cool in an a cult sort of way. Me...I gave up a motorcycle when the little one was born, sold my S2000 because driving along was never fun and thus I ditched the sedan that never hauled anything but car seats. Alas....the MS3. Handles amazingly well, very quick and can be made more so and 5 star safety with a price tag that was hard to beat. I say move up a few years in models and pick something a bit newer.

With all the daydreaming of wrenching on cars while on vacation and boring of your wife with car talk, I might need to begin having afternoon tea with her. What's her cell number again ;)

Check your old PM's...I made that mistake once, I won't do it again. :D

Id look early-mid 60's bug. This past summer I picked up a 62, originally a california car so it's solid as a rock. Got it to the point it is now and took it on a 300 mile trip before I put it away for the winter and the 1914 with dual 48 ida's didn't miss a beat!. Not the most comfortable car but what a blast to drive with the top open! I dont think you could go wrong with an older bug but do some research and know the common problem areas and look it over before you make the deal!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/hiitsmejimmy/38020395.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/hiitsmejimmy/38020412.jpg

Speaking from experience, I own a 69 Beetle. Love it. My Uncle owns a 69 'Vair. Quirky but equally cool. But there is always that nagging feeling for stuffing a V8 in it. I think if I were shopping for either one again I'd personally go for the Corvair. You never see them around hardly anymore, and likely would never get bored with it. Monza Spyder would be the Holy Grail. 180HP Turbo.

BlackMess...badass car. Your color and Fuchs wheels are not my thing but pretty much EXACTLY what I want in a Bug.

VW peeps, I'm on TheSamba.com pretty much every week since someone turned me on to the site a couple of months ago...

Only regret is the front beam. It's narrowed 5 inch without shocks and went a click 2 low in the rear which makes it difficult to navigate steep hills! It has ghia disks with a dual master so it stops excellent! There is always something poping up on the samba, best of luck and keep us posted!