2010 Census

Nitrousbird

Could it be any more useless and wasteful?

- You can't fill it out online

- They think it is necessary to send a pre-letter out a week before sending the Census, urging us to fill it out. How many MILLIONS did that cost?

- The information you put in is shitty at best. Let's see, they want to know the names/birthdate/race of the people living in a house, home phone number, whether the residents own or rent, and that's about it. Wow, what compelling stuff.

I expected at a MINIMUM some household income, occupation, level of education, etc. stuff in there, and IMO well beyond that should have been asked.

Somehow the likely $1 BILLION+ spent to gather this information is going to good use? If they are going to ask questions and spend this kind of coin, put some real thought into questions and gather some good data, not this lame crap. AND MAKE THE DAMN THING ONLINE!

Could it be any more useless and wasteful?

- You can't fill it out online

- They think it is necessary to send a pre-letter out a week before sending the Census, urging us to fill it out. How many MILLIONS did that cost?

- The information you put in is shitty at best. Let's see, they want to know the names/birthdate/race of the people living in a house, home phone number, whether the residents own or rent, and that's about it. Wow, what compelling stuff.

I expected at a MINIMUM some household income, occupation, level of education, etc. stuff in there, and IMO well beyond that should have been asked.

Somehow the likely $1 BILLION+ spent to gather this information is going to good use? If they are going to ask questions and spend this kind of coin, put some real thought into questions and gather some good data, not this lame crap. AND MAKE THE DAMN THING ONLINE!

I believe that the questions that you listed above are done in the American Community Survey. This survey is sent to a random sample of the population annually.

http://www.census.gov/acs/www/

If they asked all the things you mention, people would cry foul and unconstitutionality.

For those that get the extended survey, some do. Most have no problem divulging info though (I worked for the census bureau in 2000).

Joe, the census gives us an accurate idea of how many people are out there, so we know what percentage of your paycheck we need to take for upcoming healthcare costs. I am going to quit my job so you can support me.

:)

For those that get the extended survey, some do. Most have no problem divulging info though (I worked for the census bureau in 2000).

Joe, the census gives us an accurate idea of how many people are out there, so we know what percentage of your paycheck we need to take for upcoming healthcare costs. I am going to quit my job so you can support me.

:)

I understand why they gather the information that they do...but it's done in such a wasteful manner (in both cost and usefulness).

IMO, it should be done more often, and paid for by making the process far more efficent.

And do not quit your job. My taxes are high enough. :(

one thing i notice in my complex is that there are 6 kids living in 1 apartment that are relatives of the renters so that they are able to go to westerville city schools even though they shouldn't be. If they are doing this, why would they want to give accurate information to a census? I say epic fail government.

I agree there should be an on-line option.

If they asked all the things you mention, people would cry foul and unconstitutionality.

I could see the t-bager party on tv with their little signs complaining about this right now :)

• Downvote 1

When sending out an optional survey it's best to keep it very short and simple. If it takes you 5-10 minutes to read through and fill out the form you're less likely to complete it. A short simple 2-3 minutes is all they need. Asking the questions that are most relevant to what they're trying to figure out.

I do agree that the mailing is a bit wasteful especially in toady’s world, but to be fair there are still people who don’t have regular internet access.

I do agree that the mailing is a bit wasteful especially in toady’s world, but to be fair there are still people who don’t have regular internet access.

It might be wasteful in today's world, but it should give the post office something to do considering the general decline in mail and their current deficit.

I got a business survey one time that asked about all of my sales info, how much I paid employees and a lot more info than I want to share. The first one I shredded. They sent me a notice saying I did not return it and another copy. I took a sharpie marker and wrote in big letters "ASK THE IRS" and sent it back. True story!

It only goes up to 12 people, what the heck do the Duggars do?

Their house is treated as a separate city, so each of their forty family/cult members gets a separate census form as well as an addendum for however many she has in her clown-car uterus at the time.

They just want to know how many illegal immigrants you have living in your attic.

When sending out an optional survey it's best to keep it very short and simple. If it takes you 5-10 minutes to read through and fill out the form you're less likely to complete it. A short simple 2-3 minutes is all they need. Asking the questions that are most relevant to what they're trying to figure out.

This ^

However, they should offer both online and offline.

• 2 weeks later...
We didn't get shit in the mail so when the men in black coming knocking I'm going to have to introduce them to my dogs as I clean my guns.

You call after april 12 and they send you a form.