Any reason NOT to buy an S&W M&P 40c w/ 8000rds through it?

Bam

My girlfriend is friends with a dude that is selling his s&w m&P compact 40c, she was mentioning to him that I am looking for a new gun, etc blah blah, anywho, he said he thinks he's got around 8000 or so rounds through it, never a problem, has both mags (1 extended), case, paperwork, and a holster

What says ye?

Vances currently has them on sale for $499 plus a $50 MIB or 2 extra mags.

New or used? I originally was looking at the 9mm just because I have ammo left, but they are the same gun besides the 40c holds a couple less rounds, so i dont care.

im buying this for a future carry gun and just range fun.

thanks

Edited by Bam

My cutoff point for used guns is 7,999 rounds....so, no, I wouldn't buy it.

lol, i just wantedto make sure there wasnt anything i should look at seriously before buying. but i feel pretty comfortable. The guy said he hasn't had any issues with it but when I asked about what i might have to do, he said down the line it may need the recoil spring? of course i didnt think to ask him what that was right then, but im assuming its just the spring you take out when you break it down? (ive only tore down a p95, so not sure how this one comes apart but figure there all are pretty similar)

You do know it has a lifetime warranty, right? As long as it has not been abused, there is no reason to worry about it. I would try to get it cheaper, though. 8,000 rounds is a lot for a compact gun that is 3 years old...And I shoot a lot! That's a lot of money spent in ammo....

lol, i just wantedto make sure there wasnt anything i should look at seriously before buying. but i feel pretty comfortable. The guy said he hasn't had any issues with it but when I asked about what i might have to do, he said down the line it may need the recoil spring? of course i didnt think to ask him what that was right then, but im assuming its just the spring you take out when you break it down? (ive only tore down a p95, so not sure how this one comes apart but figure there all are pretty similar)

You are correct. I recommend replacing the captive guide rod (and spring--attached) every 3-5K rounds. It's probably less than $10.

no, i thought the lifetime warranty was only for the original purchaser, thanks for clarifying.

and i agree 8000 rounds is a lot, I think at vances prices its like almost $2500 in ammo, LOL. but the guy said he has like 50 guns and just shoots alot. He said he shot the best with this handgun thats why it has so many rounds. He did say he had like 3000 rounds at his house if i wanted to buy any for a good price.

oh, and have they changed them at all? I forgot to ask him how old it was, but he did tell me its identical tothe ones they have in the cases now/selling new. is that right?

Yes, the models are all the same. They have introduced some new sku's, but there are not any updates to frame styling.

no, i thought the lifetime warranty was only for the original purchaser, thanks for clarifying.

and i agree 8000 rounds is a lot, I think at vances prices its like almost $2500 in ammo, LOL. but the guy said he has like 50 guns and just shoots alot. He said he shot the best with this handgun thats why it has so many rounds. He did say he had like 3000 rounds at his house if i wanted to buy any for a good price.

If he shoots that much and is in Columbus, I probably know him. What's his name?

BTW: Any lifetime warranty on a firearm can be upheld by ANY owner. Gun manufacturers don't want liability lawsuits coming their way for negligence. The M&P is a great gun and I like it and the Glock for an all purpose hand gun.

You do know it has a lifetime warranty, right? As long as it has not been abused, there is no reason to worry about it. I would try to get it cheaper, though. 8,000 rounds is a lot for a compact gun that is 3 years old...And I shoot a lot! That's a lot of money spent in ammo....

see the fucked up thing is vances is selling used guns for the same price as new, its stupid, so the fact that this guy was willing to do $300 was cool, and i thought saving $185 on something that is known as a solid piece was good.

i think you worked/work in a gun shop, how would you know how many rounds have been through a used gun someone wanted to trade in or anything, and how could it affect your pricing? Would you really list a gun that had 10k rounds through it for considerably less than one that had 2500 rounds through it, given they appear in the same condition?

i'm curious, i can't really tell much but then again i'm new, it was nice to hear him being honest about it, he probably could have told me it had 1000rds through it and i wouldn't have known a difference, right?

BTW: Any lifetime warranty on a firearm can be upheld by ANY owner. Gun manufacturers don't want liability lawsuits coming their way for negligence. The M&P is a great gun and I like it and the Glock for an all purpose hand gun.

Yeah, I liked the feel of the M&P better in my hand against the G26.

again, good to know about the warranty info just in case I have any questions down the line.

It all depends on care. My father has a LARGE collection of Wilson Combat 1911's. That being said the one he shoots the most has over 40,000 rounds through it. He's owned it for about 15 years now. It cleans up super nice. As a matter of fact I had a Wilson employee look at it closely and he said it looked like it had hardly been shot. No one believed the round count through it until my father confirmed it.

I tell you that to tell you this: If you are anal enough about cleaning, you can MASK the amount of rounds a gun has seen in a quality firearm. That being said, normally you do see wear and tear. Yes if you have a trained eye there are certain things you can spot on certain guns, the way they wear etc...

I know of one MP that has over 10,000 rounds through it and I can't say it shows much more wear than a Glock would--they wear well. If I could look at it, see it, play with it I could tell you a lot more...