Nasa quality photos take of earth for $750

Benner

Cost them millions of dollars to put a satallite into the air to take them...

Cool for what he paid but doesnt make Nasa a bunch of idiots. Tell you what if the guy can make it to the moon for under $10,000 then Nasa can be a bunch of idiots.

A camer, balloon, and a gps tracker.

As far as going to the moon, I think it could be done much, much cheaper than what NASA's capable of. Hell, we've sent people there with a computer that would be blown out of the water by an iPhone.

A camer, balloon, and a gps tracker.

As far as going to the moon, I think it could be done much, much cheaper than what NASA's capable of. Hell, we've sent people there with a computer that would be blown out of the water by an iPhone.

We only have iphones (and nearly everything other cool technology) because our governments spent so much money developing them over the years.

Haven't 3rd graders been doing this shit for years?

I used to build and fly model rockets when I was in elementary school. I had a rocket with a 35mm camera in it. As soon as the engine finished generating thrust and the parachute came out the camera took a few pictures. I probably still have those pictures somewhere at my parents house.

We only have iphones (and nearly everything other cool technology) because our governments spent so much money developing them over the years.

I think that could probably be argued...besides everyone knows that they got it from the aliens who crashed at Roswell.

On the news this morning they said they did it for under $200? Either way its impressive.

I think that could probably be argued...besides everyone knows that they got it from the aliens who crashed at Roswell.

Thank Japan.

On the news this morning they said they did it for under $200? Either way its impressive.

Anything can be argued.

The satellite tv/radio/internet... military.

The http://www... military.

Countless lubricants, temperature resistant materials, rust-proofing, cleaners... military.

Machine-made cigs... for troops.

Computers,

Original programming languages,

sonar,

endless list of other things...

came about because of a military or government budgets and were later adapted into commercial use. There used to be a site with like 500 everyday things that were developed by just the USA military.

no

So it was 4th graders?

No, seriously. I remember reading a story about some school in Mexico that actually did this as well. Someone even posted a story on here about some guy that did it after them. There's been a few people that have done this already.

I used to build and fly model rockets when I was in elementary school. I had a rocket with a 35mm camera in it. As soon as the engine finished generating thrust and the parachute came out the camera took a few pictures. I probably still have those pictures somewhere at my parents house.

Thats crazy , I use to be big into model rockets back when I was younger. I always remember seeing that rocket with the camera in most model rocket magazines. I can still remember the box it came in. Either way get the pic;s up id like to see them.

I would have cost NASA much more to do that because they would have been looking for specific information, not just random shots. Have this same guy to the same thing except record oxygen levels, temps, force of gravity, air pressure, etc .... Oh, and radio the information back to the ground (so when the recovery system fails the whole experiment isn't lost). NASA also would have been responsible for controlling where it comes down, so no one would get hurt.

All that aside, I think what the guy did was great. But if you look at the development costs involved in what he did, the cost is astronomical. NASA gets dinged with development costs when there is no off the shelf item they can grab to do the job. If this guy had to invent the technologies he used .... it wouldn't have happened.

Makes you wonder though what we'll be able to do in 10 or 20 years with off the shelf technology (pioneered by government funding for military or NASA).

just watched a quick interview with him on MSNBC. i was curious as to how he figured out where it would land, and if it would be on land or water. he said the balloon popped at 21mi altitude and parachuted back. i couldnt tell with his accent if he said it landed 15 or 50 miles from him, but still not as far as i figured it'd drift with winds and shit.

actually, if it went the higher number, 50 miles, coming down from 21 miles altitude, it seems that it would be a very calm day as far as winds are concerned for it to not drift that far

Proves Nasa is a bunch of idiots. That or this guy is a genius

Neither. He's smart, but not a genius; a genius would have made it into space, that guy just made it into the upper atmosphere.

By the way, the GPS that made all of this possible... where did it come from? Yeah, thought so.

Neither. He's smart, but not a genius; a genius would have made it into space, that guy just made it into the upper atmosphere.

By the way, the GPS that made all of this possible... where did it come from? Yeah, thought so.

Yes we do make some good devices. GPS and internet rules.