New Phone

stealthmonkey

Yeah everyone i know there is tons of threads out there. But here it goes. Bought a new DROID. So far i am really digging the phone. The OS flows very very well. I am enjoying the functionality very much. Couple questions,

1) What are your favorite apps and why should i get them?

2) Any tips conserving Battery Life?

3) Any mods or things i should get for it?

Thanks for your input!

1) Really up to what you use, but I use Handcent SMS (better than stock SMS app I think), Root Explorer (if your rooted), Pretty much all the apps from Google (Earth, Voice, Goggles, Gesture Search etc), Pandora, Shazam, MetaMorth (if your rooted, its for looks), ShootMe (If your rooted, takes screenshots), Beautiful Widgets, HelixLauncher2 (I think thats for the Nexus only, so HelixLauncher1 for Droid, its for looks)

2) Turn screen brightness down (set to auto if droid has it), keep wifi and bluetooth off

3)Root Root Root. Then you can install custom roms and morphs (skins)

what is rooted?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superuser

There is a community of open-source enthusiasts that build and share Android-based firmware with a number of customizations and additional features, such as FLAC lossless audio support and the ability to store downloaded applications on the microSD card.[3] The community refers to this process as rooting the device. Rooting lets users load modified firmwares allowing users of older phones to use applications available only on newer releases.[4]

Those firmware packages are updated frequently, incorporate elements of Android functionality that haven't yet been officially released within a carrier-sanctioned firmware, and tend to have fewer limitations. CyanogenMod is one such firmware.

On 24 September 2009, Google issued a cease and desist letter[5] to the modder Cyanogen, citing issues with the re-distribution of Google's closed-source applications[6] within the custom firmware. Even though Android OS is open source, phones come packaged with closed-source Google applications for functionality such as the application store and GPS navigation. Google has asserted that these applications can only be provided through approved distribution channels by licensed distributors. Cyanogen has complied with Google's wishes and is continuing to distribute his mod without the proprietary software. He has provided a method to back up licensed Google applications during the mod's install process and restore them when it is complete.[7]

Cyanogen FTW!

I hope you got it at Best Buy for $99 cause that is the price they have them for this week.

Nope, I bought it from Walmart.com they had it marked down to $19.99 then i sent them a phone so it dropped the price to $0.00 :) Took it over to Verizon and had it activated and i got some accessories for it (rubber protector, and screen protector)

Install advance task killer, exclude apps you dont want killed, especially widgets. Kill off things whenever.

Use the power control widget to manage wifi/gps/sync/brightness and all that real quickly. Other than that, your battery life should be good.