Ipad

Buckeye1647545503

Universal remotes exist!?

The ability to receive meta data from the source component is what those $60-$500 remotes lack.

I can show you a panel that shows your itunes playlists with current album cover, thermostat, security cam, setting of every single light load, sprinkler system status, Entire movie collection arranged by DVD cover, ETeffingC.

The point isn't that it can act as a Time Warner remote replacement. The point that it will be able to do all of the above for 10% of what I would sell my panel to you for.

If you build a media computer and run your cable wire into a tv tuner card it will. All you need is a wireless keyboard/mouse and a TV. You don't even need a DVR your computer will be the DVR. Most all new tv's have a VGA input unless you have a real old dinosaur one. And there are converter wires in this case. It isn't as hard and is cheaper then apple.

But whatever works for you is ok.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres a real winnar.

The real winner will be measured in bottom line sales figures and profit. Let's see who will come out on top then make claims of winners.

In 2009 Apple's OS ranked #3 worldwide. In the US it's even closer to #2 trailing slightly behind RIM BlackBerry. However, we all know BB is seeing a shift of users who leave going to Apple vs elsewhere. That article was just posted about one week back.

Not bad considering they are available through only one carrier command a much steeper price tag and have been around just shy of three years. That's kicking BB's ass if you ask me.

IMO simple is better. Just about everyone has a cell phone and with more moving to smart phones every day, the vast majority of people want to keep things simple. Fuck hacking, programing or carrying a device that's more like a computer than a phone. People like apple because they keep it good looking, simple as fuck, streamlined it's interface with the best selling music device, driving them all from essentially the same software and PC Interface and they have a huge following of developers. Not to mention there's a cool factor and marketing push like no other driving them. I doubt you'll ever see them giving away iPhones like the others are having to do to get their business.

In the end, the Android phones can develop and move forward towards being the kick-ass performing and all powerful if they wish.....in the end though, people like Toyota Camery's and Ford Fusions not the more sophisticated and powerful models...and they vote with their wallet. Keep it simple, smooth and market the fuck out of it and you'll win.

http://images.appleinsider.com/gartner-100223.png

http://www.buzzbox.com/top/default/preview/gartner-apple-s_iphone_was_no-3_worldwide_smartphone_in_2009/?id=549782&topic=Gartner%3ASmartphone

Edited by TTQ B4U

If you build a media computer and run your cable wire into a tv tuner card it will. All you need is a wireless keyboard/mouse and a TV. You don't even need a DVR your computer will be the DVR. Most all new tv's have a VGA input unless you have a real old dinosaur one. And there are converter wires in this case. It isn't as hard and is cheaper then apple.

But whatever works for you is ok.

I thought about doing something similar, though havent thought of having a tv tuner card. That would defete the purpose of the dvr thats costing me 7$ a month. More or less just hooking up a media computer to my flat screen to use as a monitor/tv in the living room. However it wouldnt solve the problem of being able to watch sportcenter while reading puck daddy (yahoo hockey blog) or CR at the same time. I think im just gonna have to buy a laptop.

EDIT: I havent read through the whole thread but i heard a rumor that the ipad doesnt do flash, is this really true?!

I thought about doing something similar, though havent thought of having a tv tuner card. That would defete the purpose of the dvr thats costing me 7$ a month. More or less just hooking up a media computer to my flat screen to use as a monitor/tv in the living room. However it wouldnt solve the problem of being able to watch sportcenter while reading puck daddy (yahoo hockey blog) or CR at the same time. I think im just gonna have to buy a laptop.

EDIT: I havent read through the whole thread but i heard a rumor that the ipad doesnt do flash, is this really true?!

Most TV tuners come with software to pre-record programs just like a DVR. Research up on it. It is possible to have it record a show and also let you watch a separate channel at the same.

Seeing as this is just windows OS you COULD make the tv show not use all your screen and use IE/Firefox at the same time. It is possible...

The real winner will be measured in bottom line sales figures and profit. Let's see who will come out on top then make claims of winners.

In 2009 Apple's OS ranked #3 worldwide. In the US it's even closer to #2 trailing slightly behind RIM BlackBerry. However, we all know BB is seeing a shift of users who leave going to Apple vs elsewhere. That article was just posted about one week back.

Not bad considering they are available through only one carrier and have been around just shy of three years. That's kicking BB's ass if you ask me.

IMO simple is better. Just about everyone has a cell phone and with more moving to smart phones every day, the vast majority of people want to keep things simple. Fuck hacking, programing or carrying a device that's more like a computer than a phone. People like apple because they keep it good looking, simple as fuck, streamlined it's interface with the best selling music device, driving them all from essentially the same software and PC Interface and they have a huge following of developers. Not to mention there's a cool factor and marketing push like no other driving them.

In the end, the Android phones can develop and move forward towards being the kick-ass performing and all powerful if they wish.....in the end though, people like Toyota Camery's and Ford Fusions not the more sophisticated and powerful models...and they vote with their wallet. Keep it simple, smooth and market the fuck out of it and you'll win.

In the end you're right, all about who sells more. I hate blackberry's, and really have no freaking idea why people like them.

But yes, majority of people like simple, which is why a piece of crap phone like the Razr is still one of the best selling phones (last time I checked). But Symbian, which is an excellent OS, is probably the most complex OS between the iphone and android, but it also has the ability to much much more, and thats why its #1. Symbian also isnt very popular in the US, and I blame that on its complexity. Same way with manual transmissions in cars, in most countries manuals are the majority and if you dont know how to drive one, you don't get a license. Americans like to be lazy and are ok with companies telling them how to use their devices and how to drive their cars.

Me personally, I prefer to drive my car the way I want to, and have a device that I can shape to fit my likes and needs, not the other way around.

What i posted (the joojoo) has 1 or 2 mini-pcie ports open inside. You can get a tv tuner for it, the same kinds they put in netbooks.

What i posted (the joojoo) has 1 or 2 mini-pcie ports open inside. You can get a tv tuner for it, the same kinds they put in netbooks.

Just heard about the Gemini

http://www.androidpolice.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/image_thumb20.png

http://www.androidpolice.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/image_thumb21.png

http://www.androidpolice.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/image_thumb22.png