How to break in a new turbo?

rb26deet32

Needs extrude hone mod. Bolt up turbo but fill with sand or media first. Turn it on and let it run at redline for 10 mins. This should remove casting marks inside and provide for better flow.

I've heard this does 'wonders'. ;)

A well-built turbo is going to be balanced and bench tested before shipping out. Your only job is to be sure it's properly installed and primed. Granted, the idea of heat cycling the turbo a couple times makes sense and in the process, you'd be performing any break-in, needed or otherwise.

Where did you purchase the turbo? Or, better yet, who do you have the warranty with if you have one?

What do they recommend?

If no go on those questions, what manufacturer is it? What do they recommend you do for their turbos?

Nobody's gonna know more than these people I've mentioned. And if something goes wrong, you have a much more viable source of blame. :)

2 words

Chex Mix

lol, I'm not sure why but that made me laugh my ass off. I guess I'm just in a good mood since everything is on and running like a champ.

I got the new turbo today and was talking to the guys at Columbus Diesel for a while and my buddy that was with me and what everyone agreed on a few things.

First thing is is to take out my fuses, drain old oil and pour in some cheap synthetic oil just to flush the system without the turbo hooked up. Turn over the engine for a while and then drain the new...old, oil out and put in the expensive shit. Now install the turbo, hook up oil feed line and turn that bad boy over til you see a good amount of oil coming out of the return. Then wait for a few seconds. Then do it again til you get a stream of oil coming out into my oil change tub thingamajigger. Hook up return line and then turn over the car with everything hooked up for 15 seconds. Do that about 5 times and then let the car sit. Do it again after about 5 minutes a few more times. Now, put the fuses back in and turn that pos on. Let it idle til it's up to temp. Then immediately turn it off. Let it cool down (took forever) turn it on again and let it warm up and let it idle at normal for 10 minutes. Turn it off again...After it cools down again turn it on and drive at a steady speed completely off boost like a grandma with downs for a few minutes. Then turn it off. Then go out and drive around like normal on very low boost. In between check for random leaks.

And finally, drive the shit out of it :D and I did for a while. Wasted about 3/4 of a tank. On my old turbo I was running 14psi on wastegate. Now, since I got my evc I'm running 9psi for a few days. And since this turbo is ball bearing and my last one wasn't, along with the turbo being crap it actually feels just as fast on 9 as it did on 14. But after next week I'll be running 28psi finally :bangbang:

Now I'm just hoping this turbo can make the power I want without crapping out.