bmw scam on craigslist

ansonivan

I'm always amused by craigslist sellers who feel the need to ward off potential scammers, I decided to have a poke at one such paranoid poster. Here's the ad:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/1676236263.html

Trade: 1995 BMW 318IS (plymouth-oh)

i'd like to get something different.

looking for trades, but if you're interested in buying just make an offer....

i like foreign cars, convertibles, classics, fast cars and extended cab trucks....

194k on the odometer, runs and drive's great (just took it on a trip to florida and back with no problems at all. it's a 5 spd, tan leather interior. it's a very dependable car.

more pictures: http://s629.photobucket.com/albums/uu19/dawnehale/95bmw318is/

!!!!!!!NO SCAMS!!!!!! <==== don't wast your time, i won't respond

My friendly email to the internet savy seller:

Hi,

I'm interested in trading a scam for your e36, I know you mentioned in the ad that you were not interested in scams but mine is a particularly juicy and interesting one.

thanks in advance

Anson

Edited by ansonivan
clarity

what makes you think its a scammer? seems fair enough. heres a true scam i found yesterday

http://columbus.craigslist.org/pts/1668427144.html

EXCELLENT Mazda RX-7 `93 - $3000 (Columbus)

Date: 2010-03-30, 11:41AM EDT

Reply to: sale-vpwpk-1668427144@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

1993 Mazda RX-7

Rotary Rocket Mint 40k Miles 400HP+ Twin Turbo

FOR MORE PICS AND DETAILS PLEASE CONTACT ME AT :

DonnaBBeavers@msn.com

CLEAN TITLE! ALWAYS KEPT CLEAN AND MAINTENANCED

VERY good condition!

ORIGINAL 40k MILES! VERY RARE! Babied its entire life. Weighs less than 2,799 lbs and 400HP+ at the engine.

Car has been detailed every month inside, exterior, and engine. Kept in show condition as well as kept very high in performance standards.

The styling elements of this RX-7 are not only graceful to look at but they are pure in purpose.

Brake ducts are fully functional in cooling of the front brakes. Interior is like NEW! Seats are still in almost NEW condition.

Seats are conditioned and kept in new condition. Full Engine Management System by A'PEXi.

This car will turn heads! VERY FAST 0-60 in less than 4.5 Seconds! SERIOUS BUYERS ONLY!

Exterior / Performance

- Full C-West Body Kit

- Carbon Fiber Canards

- 19" Volk GT-C Rims wrapped in Bridgestone Potenzas

- Fuzion Vented Fiberglass Hood (Painted)

- Full 3" Turbo Back Exhaust by Racing Beat Performance

- Efini Emblems

- 4300k HID Headlights

- Exhaust Soot Cap on Rear Bumper

- A'PEXi twin air filters

- Front Mount Intercooler by Greddy

- Front Strut bar with RX-7 emblem

- A'PEXi Power FC + Commander EMS (Fully Tuned)

- Blitz BOV

- Greddy Electronic Boost Controller

- and MORE

Interior

- DEFI Boost and W.Temp Gauge.

- A'PEXi Power FC + Commander EMS

- Custom Painted Dash to match exterior paint

- Perfect Leather seats and carpet

- Pioneer/Premier CD Player

- Alpine V12 5 Channel Amp

- JL Audio Sub

- Custom Box

- Relocated/Replaced battery with Optima Yellow Top

http://images.craigslist.org/3n83p73lb5O15Y05S1a43db3c63f576351853.jpghttp://images.craigslist.org/3k03mc3pc5Y55Q35W6a4333ecbf35cbd51be4.jpg

i sent an email saying i was interested. i got this long drawn out response

First of all I want to thank you for your interest for my car. I sell it at this price because i just finished the divorce with

my husband.The divorce has finished 6 months ago and the car is mine now.After the divorce I was forced to buy a new house.

Following the financial crisis I can not afford to pay the bank and I decided to sell the car.

This car is in excellent working conditions, no scratches, flaws or any kind of damage, slightly used in 100% working and looking conditions and comes with a clear title.

The VIN is JM1FD3314P0207022, you can check it on carfax the condtion.It has 41350 miles.

From the beginning you have to know that for the payment I request only secure pay, I prefer the payment to be done using eBay services.

We will use a safe payment method because I am affiliated at eBay and I have a purchase protection account.

The final price that I want for this car is $2950.I will pay for shipping and handling.

If you are interested in buying it please provide me your full name and address so I can initiate the deal through eBay.

I will wait your answer(if you are interested to buy) very soon.

You can see more photos here : http://s861.photobucket.com/albums/ab178/DonnaBBeavers/

Doctor Donna Beavers

my respose to that email..

dont feed me your bullshit. i dont give a shit about your bullshit financial bullshit crisis that never happened. quit trying to scam people. bitch.

never received a response. my father almost got scammed out of 3k on a pickup truck a few months back. he got pretty much the exact same reponse that this person sent. wanting us to use ebay, giving him a life story, and setting a dumb price like 2950. he was too stubborn to realize that it was a dead end road for him.

i had a guy at work asking me if ebay was secure, then saying he was buying a car off craigslist and the seller wanted him to use that...

since he just got to my department and i dont know him, i almost didnt give a shit, but then i basically explained the ad to him without seeing it (40% price of what its worth, wants to use ebay, cant see it in person, getting shipped, etc) and told him if he did it and got burned, i'd laugh my ass off at him

Total newb question....How the hell does the ebay scam work? Are you wiring them $$$? I've never bought a car through ebay.

they send you a link to a false ebay page. extremely difficult to tell its a hoax website. the one with my father involved "ebay" giving him an account number for a money gram account. since this isnt through paypal, or any other official ebay service, its untracable, and your out money.