Grandma gave me an old derringer that was my grandfathers

Browning

How do I go about looking this thing up and see how old it was? ion't think it's ancient but I'm curious to find out. I don't see any names on it. Just says cal 22 and what looks like SSLR and the other side says Gemany

Is it a 2 shot?

I don't really know much about guns but searching google it says it's called over under barrel and looks like one I found that says they started making them in 1866 but I don't this one is any where near that old. BRB I'm uploading a pic

Def an old one. I'd be interested in age myself.

I'd put that one in a case and hold onto it.

it's going in the little case it has with it and into an old cedar chest at my moms place. now of any ways to determine age and get more info by chance?

I'll register and see what they can tell me. Thanks.

Kevin, that would be awesome if you could do that:) My mom mentioned today something about it may have been given to him by his father, not brought over from a war.

Those little derringers are usually difficult to get an idea of age without a manufacturer name and a serial number. Some of the manufacturers started production in the 20s and continued on up through the present day without making real changes, maybe different grips, but those are not really an indicator of when it was built.

Could well be pre-WW2, they were fairly popular in Europe and America in that period.

You can check if it's loaded using a thin wooden dowel. The barrels probably extend about 1/8 into the body of the gun, so just hold a wood dowel beside the barrel and mark where the end of the barrels are. Insert it into the barrel, and if it goes all the way in to the mark, it's probably unloaded. If it bottoms out about 1/2in or more before the mark, it may be loaded.