buying used car - private party

evan9381

just need some general info. do i have this right for buying a car from a private party (in cash)?

1. pay them

2. have them sign the title (notarized)

3. go on my way

can i throw my cars plates on it just to get it home (~4-5 miles) then park it in my driveway until i can get to the title office to get it transferred and then the BMV to buy tags? im going to look at it tomorrow at 11, and the title office/bmv thats up in the area closes at 12, but by the time i get it in for a used car inspection, itll be after noon.

also, i pay the sales tax to the title office, correct? anyone know what the title transfer fee is? if i buy for 3100, tax would be ~209.xx (6.75%), title transfer, then registration would be like $52 or so, if im remembering correctly from last years renewing...am i missing anything?

TIA

I've never had any experience in buying or selling any cars. i made up a story to sound like i knew what i'm talking about. I've never known anyone who ever wrote a lower price on the title, i just heard about it on tv once.

sorry to waste your time evan,

-Kevin

see post #4

Edited by KStang3.8

there was also a thread where a bright individual on here did that and then a couple months later got a letter about tax fraud, and had to pay even more than what it would have been. im not so cheap as to worry about skipping out on $200 in taxes

Yes, the notary is for the seller's signature. The notary should witness the seller sign.

No, driving on other tags "even for a couple miles" is not legal. If caught, it's ficticious tags.

Yes, you pay the tax (based on the county you live in, not the county you buy from) at the title office, plus a $15 fee.

Admitting you dodged sales tax on a public forum is idiotic.

Yes, the notary is for the seller's signature. The notary should witness the seller sign.

No, driving on other tags "even for a couple miles" is not legal. If caught, it's ficticious tags.

Yes, you pay the tax (based on the county you live in, not the county you buy from) at the title office, plus a $15 fee.

Admitting you dodged sales tax on a public forum is idiotic.

in ohio you have 30 days to transfer plates from old vehicle to new vehicle, i would have no issues driving home like that. even if he gets stopped for tags not matching the vehicle, he would have enough supporting documentation to prove he just bought the vehicle.

tom

in ohio you have 30 days to transfer plates from old vehicle to new vehicle, i would have no issues driving home like that. even if he gets stopped for tags not matching the vehicle, he would have enough supporting documentation to prove he just bought the vehicle.

tom

That is only if you sell the car the plates were on and buy a new car. It doesn't cover just buying an additional car and slapping plates on it from another one of your cars. I am guilty of it many, many times too.

But, I almost got nailed for this last year after buying the GP, putting a plate off my other car on it (literally 2 days). Wife got pulled over and only got out of it because she was 8 months pregnant and had a toddler in the back.

Not worth the risk. Wait until a day the bmv is open and go get tags.

Have the seller write a bill of sale, you will be fine. There is writing in fine print that if you just bought a car from private party you are ok to get it home.

They should have the title notarized with their part filled out before you get there. Then upon inspection that there is indeed a notarized stamp on the back where they fill out the seller info. You hand them cash.

That is only if you sell the car the plates were on and buy a new car. It doesn't cover just buying an additional car and slapping plates on it from another one of your cars. I am guilty of it many, many times too.

But, I almost got nailed for this last year after buying the GP, putting a plate off my other car on it (literally 2 days). Wife got pulled over and only got out of it because she was 8 months pregnant and had a toddler in the back.

Not worth the risk. Wait until a day the bmv is open and go get tags.

Vince, it is perfectly legal to do it. If you were ever ticketed its because the officer was being a dick. The BMV states you have 30 days. And by law you do have 30 days. If you own the tag and you own the car, you have that 30 days to re-register that tag to the appropriate vehicle.

And you dont need a bill of sale for a car. You will have a notorized title. (Not directed to you Vince)

Vince, it is perfectly legal to do it. If you were ever ticketed its because the officer was being a dick. The BMV states you have 30 days. And by law you do have 30 days. If you own the tag and you own the car, you have that 30 days to re-register that tag to the appropriate vehicle.

Not buying it yet. I'll have to dig into that one man. I still don't think you can just take an existing tag off of a currently registered car and slap it onto a new-to-you car, while retaining ownership of the old car.

Let me clarify (maybe better this time) what I was saying is you can't take a plate off of a car you are keeping, take it with you to buy a car, and drive the "new" car around on the other car's plate. Which, I think, is what the OP was asking.

PS, I hate the BMV.

Edited by nurkvinny

Yes you are correct then.

If I sell my car to you and you sell your car to me, because I sold my car I have 30 days with my still valid tags to re-register the car.

If I did not sell my car to you, but bought your car, I can not legally use my tag from my car.

The ORC states this pretty clearly.

thanks for the advice...ended up not needing it...the jeep i went to look at today, i took it down to derek and it ended up being in pretty shitty condition. ended up finding a bit better explorer from a dealership in reynoldsburg for a few hundred bucks less, and got a temp tag for it

thanks for the info though...now i know and if i forget, i'll have this to refer to next time