new car - couple things

evan9381

bought a 97 explorer today...couple things i need/want to get fixed soon. im thinking they're minor, but this is a whole new type of car to me (SUV and domestic), so im not familiar with it

1) left turn signals dont work. front, rear, or on the dash. right works fine though. i would assume since theyre on the same stalk its the same wiring...if i blow one bulb it shouldnt short out the others, right?

2) electronic lock doesnt work. the unlock feature works, lock is a no go. all windows switches are fine.

3) looking for a hitch to bolt onto this. anyone got anything for sale?

sure i will be updating this soon. hopefully i can do some of this stuff on my own...havent really done any work on a car in a couple years...got lazy and didnt have a car worth working on...i do miss the occasional work i did...

Edited by evan9381

Guest Removed

could be a turn signal switch..(kind of common on those)

door lock/unlock motor is another common issue(its in the door)

most parts store carry a hitch for that....check the guys at Oreilys!

Signals don't light/flash at all, or dash stays solidly lit?

at all. they dont come on, dont blink. only on the left...but the left rear tail ligght works.

rob - are the switches seperate for left/right and seperate motors for lock/unlock? is it a common issue for only the left to go out, and only the lock to not work, but the right works fine and unlock is still good?

Guest Removed

1 motor per door, normally does both..and on fords, they wear out one direction, and not the other.

yes, the turn switch can fail to one side. but check all fuses, under dash, and under hood for shits and giggles first

will check fuses...for shits and giggles i tried to use the lock/unlock on the passenger door and it didnt work at all. im not worried about that side since i wont use it, but figured it was worth mentioning...after these fights are over im going to pull it into the gargage and mess with a few things.

so something like this may be what i need for the turn signal?

http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.com/catalog/details/Ford/Explorer/Motorcraft/Turn_Signal_Switch/1997/XLT/6_Cyl_4-dot-0L/MISW5581.html

im going to hit up a junkyard first before spending $80 on a new one. hopefully i wouldnt get the same problem coming from a used one...

edit...was thinking about this today, and wanted to check before i go buy one of these, wether it be new or junkyard.

the left blinker/turn signals dont work with the hazards either...does that seem like it would still be the turn signal switch?

TIA

Guest Removed
edit...was thinking about this today, and wanted to check before i go buy one of these, wether it be new or junkyard.

the left blinker/turn signals dont work with the hazards either...does that seem like it would still be the turn signal switch?

TIA

hazard switch is part of it...

if the circuit is broke, its not going to work, no matter what you do.(unless you jumper wire it)

if you really want to know whats wrong, get out a dvom and start testing it with the flow chart. otherwise, its my best educated quess!

ok. you're the mechanic, not me...that was just going through my head today at work and i was wondering if it was all intertwined or seperate.

i guess i'll be hitting a couple junkyards to try to find one this friday-ish

so....

in my time tonight learning how to disassemble this whole dash to get the signal switch out, i have found the issue

a couple of the wires going into the plug have come out. pushed them back in, viola! i have left signals front, rear, indicator lights

but...i cant get it to stay in the plug, and it pops back out...any ideas?

Guest Removed

see, if you pulled it apart to check it you would have found that! oh wait..

sounds like the tabs need bent back over..take a mirror and make sure the plug is not melted first.

i didnt know what i was looking for. just happened to see it part way out, pushed it in, and its working.

next up...once i got that fixed, start it up, let it warm up, idiling fine, i hear something doesnt sound right...on the exhaust, about under the rear seats, theres what im guessing is a cat with a heat shield. inside of it, it sounds like when oil starts getting hot, and you throw water droplets on it...possibly even like that missing electrode made it down there and is just bouncing around, but it doesnt sound like pinging, it sounds like boiling...its not constant, but its definitely there. then, theres liquid dripping through the holes in the heat shield. i put a piece of paper under it, its clear, and doesnt smell like gas or anything, but it definitely doesnt seem right. looked like it was smoking out the tail pipe, but could have just been from the cold. the liquid is coming from the tail pipe too...ive seen tail pipes dripping before, but should the cat be?

heres some shitty cell video i tried to get some of the sound and where its leaking

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/th_0421100158a.jpg