Turbo LSx Airplane

AWW$HEEET

Wonder how the engines going to hold up as the altitude in the airplane increases as they fly it.

That's the point of the turbo.

This isn't a high altitude cruiser. Its a stunt plane if anything. That turbo is there for power, although it could be used to compensate for atmospheric pressure loss.

This isn't a high altitude cruiser. Its a stunt plane if anything. That turbo is there for power, although it could be used to compensate for atmospheric pressure loss.

You basically just said the same damn thing that I just did. Of course it's there for power; it ain't there for looks. Compensating for atmospheric pressure is adjusting for altitude. Not to mention, you don't have to go that high up to start losing some serious power.

Just an FYI, but turbos and nitrous started out in the aeronautical industry as a means to 1. combat air density changes and 2. decrease climb times.

You basically just said the same damn thing that I just did. Of course it's there for power; it ain't there for looks. Compensating for atmospheric pressure is adjusting for altitude. Not to mention, you don't have to go that high up to start losing some serious power.

Just an FYI, but turbos and nitrous started out in the aeronautical industry as a means to 1. combat air density changes and 2. decrease climb times.

water/meth injection and compound boosting too, both with multiple turbos and turbos feeding into a supercharger.

Here is what I don't like about this set up.

1. No back up for the ignition system. Lycomings use a dual magneto system for a reason.

2. The whole system is dependent on a single serpentine belt system. Good idea for the road, bad idea for the air. If the belt breaks in the ground, you coast to the side of the road, in the air you need to look for a field to land in.

3. I am not a fan of liquid cooled aircraft. More moving parts=less reliable.

4. Automotive engines are not designed to be ran at high output levels over long periods of time.

Edited by HAOLE