Ok So seriously considering buying an 4.2L Audi S4.

SpaceGhost

SO Like the title says, I would like to buy a 05 or so S4. I am guessing with the car just being a V8 it should be pretty bulletproof? Am I correct? What are some things I should look for and what are issues? The Audi Guru told me about a Timing Chain change is expensive. I am looking at 50-70K mile cars. Time is coming to have a smoother less ricetastic more refined ride.

PS I really would like to own a 4 door G8 GT, but I really like AWD. :mad:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll sell you my Audi ipod/iphone dock :D

V8's are solid, timing chain is expensive. I looked into buying one before I got the Land Rover, I had the hardest time finding a manual trans one. They had some issues with the coils, but I think that was an 04 issue only that they fixed...Jones probably knows better.

Spend some time searching around Quattroworld.. A lot of [Edit: Some] good info and knowledgeable people if you can get used to the format. After further review, looks as if this section is not as informative as I anticipated.

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4b67/

I still spend a lot of time browsing the site, even though my Audi has been gone for 4 years. The off-topic section is a good way to kill time.

Edited by Morgan

I've looked into them before as well, and they're really pretty good cars. Just need to change the timing chain tensioners on them if they start to rattle at 100k miles. Have fun taking the motor out! Also, it's getting close to wheel bearing time.

I can't remember what year my A4 was... '03? Anyways... they issued a recall on the gas pumps; not sure if that applies to later years.

Other than that... seemed like a decent car to me. Lot's of crap on them though, so have fun working on it.

Ben,

Hopefully I can add a bit of insight, without tainting it with personal opinion too much.

Definitely avoid the 04's if you can, they were plagued with a variety of issues from valve train to transmission. The 05 is solid, but in my mind, unless you are a huge fan of the classic Audi look, find an 05.5 (b7). It will age more gracefully as it has the "new" Audi front/rear end, and Bi-Xenon's if that matters to you. You also get quad tip exhaust (2 per side) which is a tad more aggressive sounding, and revised dampers/suspension as well. This also buys into a longer CPO warranty, which you will most definitely want!

07's started to get the 40/60 F/R center diff, which makes the car feel a bit sportier, but that can be added for around $400-500 IIRC later.

Going to start with Cons rather than pluses:

* Eats gas like it's it's sole purpose in life

* Expensive Oil Changes 9.x Quarts of GOOD Synthetic & Audi Filter/Ect.

* Expensive repair/maintenance costs

* IF your chain tensioners need replaced at some point, you are looking at a 5-6K job

That being said, there are people with 130-150k that have daily driven the shit out of them for years with no problems. Have been a handful of people who have had their tensioners go at or before 100k, and were left pissed when they found out the cost.

If you have driven one, you are presumably aware of the most of the pro's so no need in rehashing those. I drove a B6 S4 and my B7 A4 back to back before buying. I decide that given the miles I drive (25K+ a year) the A4 would begin to pay for itself in fuel economy, and having driven turbo cars for so long, I really missed the surge of torque that the S4 doesn't have. It has a very linear pull, no sudden boost of energy, really anywhere.

What it does have is a very eager to rev V8 which makes your daily commute feel awesome and the sound reinforces the fun factor. Go drive a few, hell go drive a B8 A4 as well. You'd be hard pressed to think the S4 is any faster due to the amount of torque these little bastards make practically off idle.

If you really like the car do it, have some money aside just in case for possible repairs, by then hopefully you wont be caught off guard like most "new" Audi owners and throw a shit fit. :)

Let me know if I can shed light on anything else, or if you have specific questions.

Am I actually seeing this thread? I can't believe it. I remember you giving me a hard time before I bought my Audi and now you are thinking of buying one. WOW.

Oh and I like the all wheel drive system much better than my old Subie. It sure doesn't have near as much power but still a nice ride.