Ok So seriously considering buying an 4.2L Audi S4.

SpaceGhost

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy I have the same problem and it sucks. It pisses me off even more since it goes off where my radio station display is and I have to actually look at the radio to tell which Sirius station I'm chaning it too. It sucks. ;) Now it's actually blinking between 3 things, washer fluid, gas and brakes (which I ordered), really annoying. I'm actually getting around 400 miles out of a fill up so I can't complain. I used to only get around 285 with the Sti.

I was reading that Greg from DTH got a B8 A4 2.0T chiped and it was keeping up with his Elem kit B6 A4 fully tuned because the B8 has some nice gears too. Just somthing to think about, but I loved the sound and feel of the S4 when I was test driving.

I guess you are because its more like a 50K car.

when new....but to spend that much on maint for a car that was purchased used is a bit pricey. I wouldn't do it. That's actually one of the reasons my old boss is selling his....to avoid paying for any of the upcoming. he will likely end up trading it in.

Well you can either fork out $50k for a new one, or fork out $20K+5K for a used one with the timing service done. Then of course you can always keep the boy racer car. I love people like Tim's boss, they take the $25K hit for me.

Well you can either fork out $50k for a new one, or fork out $20K+5K for a used one with the timing service done. Then of course you can always keep the boy racer car. I love people like Tim's boss, they take the $25K hit for me.

Option C) DIY your own maintenance and most cars are stupid cheap to own.

Right, but bear in mind this isn't technically a "service". In theory, they have no interval. Some cars seems to start rattling, others are 150K in with no issues.

If you are unlucky enough to run into the issue during your run with the car, you are out 5-6K at a dealer, as the engine has to come out, and 9 thousand chains have to be removed, and the guides/tensioners replaced.

Otherwise you can easily 1/2 that estimate at any good independent shop, or pay a few bills for the parts yourself. 90% of the cost of this one is labor.

If it was up to be, B8 A4 vs B7 S4, I'd go B8 A4 in a heartbeat....still.

SO I guess I need to look at 06s then. How noticeable is the rattle? Could I hear it on a car I am test driving? Or should I just run the car and pop the hood?

The "rattle" generally occurs during a cold start, you'll hear a rattle/clatter sound as the adjusters wait for oil. Some people have the same noise and it hasn't changed in 30,000 miles of driving. The dealer has a TSB in which it states the noise is normal. While a BIT of it can be considered normal, anything that seems to linger, or happens once started at idle would be considered a serious issue. If you can, find a car with records showing oil changes done at 5K intervals or less. Alot of this is due to people being lazy/cheap and letting the dealer change the oil every 10K or more...

*cough B8 A4 cough*

B8 A4 S-Line with test pipe & flash = Win

Not bad, 228whp/247wtq according to AWE. B7 S4 still has more power, sounds cooler and I'm sure the S-line still doesnt have all the same goodies as the S.

Just depends on what Ben wants to do with the car I guess.

Order of badassness according to me.

1)B5 S4

2)B8 S4

3)B7 RS4

4)Kia

5)A4

JK about the Kia. Maybe that one dude should help me with my list, IT SHOULD BE BETTER

Not bad, 228whp/247wtq according to AWE. B7 S4 still has more power, sounds cooler and I'm sure the S-line still doesnt have all the same goodies as the S.

Just depends on what Ben wants to do with the car I guess.

Order of badassness according to me.

1)B5 S4

2)B8 S4

3)B7 RS4

4)Kia

5)A4

JK about the Kia. Maybe that one dude should help me with my list, IT SHOULD BE BETTER

In reality, the S-line gets everything minus the engine*, which in reality, with the weight savings over the front engine, has shown to handle better if anything, ;)

* minus brakes, which use the calipers...

No, they really didn't... The first car to receive the updated Torsen was the RS4, which debuted in 07. The S4 got it also from that point forward. The 05.5 S4's did not get it until the RS4 came with it later. They most definitely did not start stuffing them in in 05.5 and then trickled them up to the RS4. Looks like SOME 06's got the 4:1 as well...

;)

Look it up VW Homo.

EDIT: Not that it is at all that important, when you can swap one in for 400-500 bucks from JHM ect.

DOUBLE EDIT: Looks like some 06's started getting the T3...gasp

TRIPLE EDIT: Doesn't matter because all of them will go down to the mighty S8

Not sure what all of those retarded edits are, but they most certainly did come out before the 2007 RS4, in the S4.

In reality, the S-line gets everything minus the engine*, which in reality, with the weight savings over the front engine, has shown to handle better if anything, ;)

* minus brakes, which use the calipers...

Yep.

I do agree though, the A4 is a much better overall package ( up until the B8 S4).