4.3L vortec distributor timing

Ef8sirJunkie

did head gaskets on my 97 4.3L blazer i have come to put the distributor back on need a little more help on this part i cant tell if cylinder 1 is at TDC and looking at the balancer there seems to be no mark to line up against the pointer. also i am told i have to line up the oil gear and put the rotor button facing towards cylinder 1. i understand the rotor button but this is my first time working on a chevy so is there any tips on getting the oil pump gear lined up.

Thanks CR

:bangbang::bangbang:

Edited by Ef8sirJunkie

you can turn the oil pump drive with a straight screwdriver if you need to adjust where the rotor points.....

the balancer should have a mark set it at 10btdc and make sure number one piston is up you can use a screw driver to make sure the piston is all the way up

then point the rotor at number 1 on the cap and put the distributor in

you can turn the oil pump drive with a straight screwdriver if you need to adjust where the rotor points.....

the balancer should have a mark set it at 10btdc and make sure number one piston is up you can use a screw driver to make sure the piston is all the way up

then point the rotor at number 1 on the cap and put the distributor in

This, and make sure it's on compression.

thanks guys ima do this tomorrow after work and hopefully i dont put it 180 out.

Just shove your thumb in the #1 cylinder plug hole and rotate the engine or have someone bumping the starter. When you feel pressure pushing your thumb out, you're on the compression stroke (if you don't have a TDC tool).

Guest 614Streets

just one more trick and heads up for the screwdriver guys , dont need it , ever , just drop it right down where it wants to go when your on #1 tdc compression stroke and where ever the hell the rotor faces to when the base of the distributor touches the block (lets say it drops in facing 12 o clock and u need it at 2 oclock) well just lift up just enough to turn the rotor freely by hand and turn it exactly the opposite the way it just was facing (which the 1st redrop would be 6 o clock , then the next redrop it will go 1 o clock and then 7 oclock and so on). Now drop it down and look what happens , the rotor will move 1 tooth in the firing direction and also turn the oil pump drive.

Just keep repeating this process by lifting just enough to clear the cam gear , turn the rotor 180 from where it was facing , redrop it back down until 1 tooth at a time it arrives facing your #1 terminal position (distributor base facing oem).