Buying a Truck out of state, who has done this?

Berto

So I am considering buying this truck out of Texas (link below). I would probably fly out there and drive it back. What are some things I should know to make this seemless? Any watchouts? I am just looking for any information if you've done this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-Ram-2500-SLT-2WD-LongBed-Cummins-QuadCab-TxTruck_W0QQitemZ260586275054QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item3cac2700ee#ht_5550wt_1165

I've purchased a car in New York and drove it back to Texas before and it wasn't that hard. Some things:

1. Make sure the title is in order so you don't have any problems when you bring it home.

2. You will have to get it inspected when you get back to Ohio

3. Also you will have to get an Ohio registration.

4. Profit.

Really, for me it was an easy experience, my main thing to look out for is the title being filled out right and clean to take it home.

My friends cummins came from texas auto liquidators , I will not comment on anything I will let him post if he wants to do that. Either way its simple, pay for title, take truck to any dealer have inspected, then trans the title to ohio. ive bought over 7 cars now out of state, never had any issues.

Cleetus was in L.A. when I bought him on eBay. Shipped it out to Florida. Use reputable vendors for transfers of title/bill of sale and payments. If you're going to pick it up I would see if you can just leave a refundable deposit that goes towards the full purchase price you negotiated...then pay the rest when you get there.

Ask for a long (10 minute) walk-around video and one of it driving down the road. Any serious seller will do that, IMO.

Also, the inspection can be done at the BMV, and it literally consists of them checking the mileage, color, and VIN.

My Z06 came from Kentucky; the owner trailered it here for free.

My Marauder was purchased from a guy in Kansas. He flew out here, picked it up, and drove it home.

We signed, and had notarized, a sheet that said once the bank released the Title to me, I would over-night ship it to him.

It was actually ez-pz.

:thumbup:

KillJoy

I had a Dodge I bought from Penn. The inspection is as simple as stated. Basically if the VIN, color, make, model all match you're golden. Also the video sounds like a good idea. Friend bought a corvette on ebay. Got it with a cracked windshield and cracked dash. If you're spending a chunk, it might be worth while to find a someone local to inspect it for you. That way you can document any damage before shipping, then if it comes in with more damage than you expected you can maybe get some money from the transport company.

the 5-spd dodges had tranny issues (idk exactly but something with a part that would break like a plastic part). Also the 5-spd trucks may not be an ho. some are some arent. most arent.

other than that just get an out of state inspection and have the title fliped to your state.

the 5-spd dodges had tranny issues (idk exactly but something with a part that would break like a plastic part). Also the 5-spd trucks may not be an ho. some are some arent. most arent.

other than that just get an out of state inspection and have the title fliped to your state.

yeah its likely not to be HO but I don't need HO. Biggest thing I would pull is my RX-7. Main reason I am upgrading is I want a quadcab and long bed. The Diesel just being nice for fuel economy and the fact that I have the insider information on the engine :).