Civic not revving high

wheezy

The engine will not rev above ~4.75k. I checked the spark plug wires and they seemed fine. I replaced the spark plugs and that did not make a difference. Should I replace the fuel filter? Is there anything easy I'm missing? Fuel injectors? Distributor? Since its not revving high does that mean something is on its way to failing and leaving me stranded on the road or is it fine to leave it alone since I never rev it that high anyway. Its the 1.5l sohc.

Do you have a Check Engine Light on? Odds are you do and the car is in "limp mode" that will not allow the motor to see 5k rpms. If you do not then check your distributor cause its prob going to take a shit on you, itll either be the coil or the ignitor that go bad.

What year civic is this as I might have a distributor laying around

- plugged cat - check by removing the o2 sensor to check for an improvement in revability

- timing belt slipped

so is this a good thing to try?

How would I know if the timing belt had slipped? It runs fine up till ~4.5k in neutral, seems like it went a little higher in gear.

Heres a video. It really sounds like shit above 3k.

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b338/wheezytoo/?action=view&current=P4220151.flv

Its a cx and all stock except for a cold air intake as far as I know.

Edited by wheezy

Power delivery is normal up to the newly lowered rev limit?

I don't know what the normal power is since I just got this car but it seems alright. I guess Ill rev the shit out of stuff I'm gonna buy in the future.

Guest Removed
so is this a good thing to try?

How would I know if the timing belt had slipped? It runs fine up till ~4.5k in neutral, seems like it went a little higher in gear.

Heres a video. It really sounds like shit above 3k.

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b338/wheezytoo/?action=view&current=P4220151.flv

Its a cx and all stock except for a cold air intake as far as I know.

4.5 in N is going to be a rev limiter dude.

not all honda's rev to 9k..... esp a d series. see how high you can get it to rev in first gear while moving!

the cx is a econo model..it may only rev to 5k or so.

Even with low oil pressure (when the car is cold) it will rev high, but the vtec solenoid won't engage the secondary cam lobe and you won't gain the vhax powa, so you fail and teh funny.

my brother's car did the same thing and it turned out to be the vtec solenoid.

lol so maybe it only does rev to 4.5k

from wiki: Power : 70 hp (52.2 kW, 71.0 ps) @ 4500 rpm

wouldn't max power be fairly close to the top rpm

edit: after searching google it looks like the redline should be 5500 or 6500.

Edited by wheezy

in gear it revs to 5k

I decided to replace the fuel filter since it had probably had never been done and there was a small chance it was causing the problem. It didn't change anything and now at idle it bounces back and forth between 800-1000 before it settles down. ffffffuuuuuuuuu

I guess Im just gonna take it to gearheadz. fucking bought this thing to take on a 5k mile roadtrip since it gets 40mpg and now I'm spending as much fixing problems I didn't know it had as I would have spent in gas just driving my truck. This sucks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Removed
what is the last thing u did to the car when it revved higher than 4.5k...?swap...turbo....ignition...???

he got the car, and never tired to rev it hard till one day... noticed it only went to 5k... well the timing belt had jumped a tooth. put it back in time, and its revs to fuel cut.. granted its a cx model.. but still should have revved to fuel cut.