clunking sound when turning wheel at a stop or low speed

Guest tbutera2112

would turning the wheel like that with the car in the air and shut off make it overflow or something?

Yes, most cars with power steering will puke fluid from the reservoir if you cycle the steering enough times without the engine running.

upper strut mount i believe is what you're talking about, and the only way to check that is to remove the entire assembly, then remove it from the strut/spring. They are usually cheap.

Guest tbutera2112
people are saying theres a strut bearing, as well as that mount...im guessing its part of the assembly? if thats the case, i belive that would get replaced with the new springs if my car indeed has faulty springs

Guest tbutera2112
upper strut bearing plates

do you think that would be covered under the extended warranty of the springs? i posted the description of the warranty on page 1 ....basically what im asking is, would it be worth the drive to MAG to have them check it out to see if it qualifies for the warranty?

people are saying theres a strut bearing, as well as that mount...im guessing its part of the assembly? if thats the case, i belive that would get replaced with the new springs if my car indeed has faulty springs

yeah the bearing is most likely in the strut mount. And don't count on it being replaced if your car gets its spring replaced under warranty. My focus had the front springs cracked and they were replaced under recall, but they didn't replace ANYTHING else, not the struts, strut mounts, etc, didn't even re-align the fucking car after doing it either.

Guest tbutera2112

jsut found this tsb....since it has to do with corrosion, as does the spring one, wouldnt it make sense they replace it all? a few people on the saab site im on had springs, shocks, mounts, and bearings replaced all under warranty, but im not sure if they had a full warranty or just this extended one

Bulletin Number: 731-2643

Date: October, 2006

Market: All

Noise in the MacPherson Strut

Cars Affected:

Saab 9-3 4D/5D within Vehicle Identification Number range 31000001 - 71004117 Saab 9-3 CV within Vehicle Identification Number range 46000001 - 76002069

Background

Water may enter the thrust bearing and cause corrosion.

In the case of customer complaint, the following procedure must be carried Out.

Symptom description

Knocking noise while turning the steering wheel or banging noise when driving on uneven roads.

Parts Required

11 900 364 Screw (3 per MacPherson strut)

13 239 683 Water shield

91 91 181 Thrust bearing (CA: 30593389)

Guest tbutera2112

also...shop procedure according to WIS, is replacing the entire macpherson strut...

i guess ill head up there today and ask them about it...i need to get my aux in turned on through the Tech II program also while im there...its such a long fucking drive...

thanks for the help guys

Guest tbutera2112

its the "Front Upper Strut Bearings"

i am in WIS, and the only thing i can see is the Support Bearing and Thrust Bearing

which one would that be? or would it be both?

are these even the bearings i should be looking at?

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i82/SaleenSS90/saab1.jpg

and can i do the repair without the special weird looking tool used for step 4? i can post a pic of it if need be

Edited by tbutera2112

Guest tbutera2112

ok its the lower number 5... now i just need to order the part, rent a spring compressor and get at it

does anyone know if theres a way to do this without that sleeve tool?

Guest tbutera2112
Nah, I win.. I said upper strut bearings long before rob :D

lol youre right...i went back through the posts to see who called it first and i saw your post start with "CV joints" so i just kept scrolling, just went back and re-read it and now i see

now that its fixed, my rear springs are creaking....if its not one thing, its another lol

Guest tbutera2112
I'll bet its a clunking intermediate shaft, very common on Malibus and G6s, so I'll bet your Saab has the same shit.

well nevermind, I read the whole thread, but it'll happen eventually.

what is that? not sure what an "intermediate shaft" is

any idea what would make my springs really creaky in the rear?

what is that? not sure what an "intermediate shaft" is

any idea what would make my springs really creaky in the rear?

An intermediate shaft connects the steering column to the rack, it has a kind of slip joint in it that makes noise.

Your rear springs might have some deteriorated rubber isolators or something, I'd have someone jounce the rear end up and down while spraying lube in places until the noise stops.

Guest Removed

once i read post ten, i knew what it was.... describing the noise is half the battle...ask me how i know...lol

and putty, some cv's..lol.. and oldly enough, both front springs where broke! i'll show you tomorrow

Guest tbutera2112

walked around back today to put something in my trunk....and guess what i find?

those pieces of shit put a MAG license plate frame on my fucking car, without my permission...

like i want to advertise for those thieving fucks.

Guest Removed
walked around back today to put something in my trunk....and guess what i find?

those pieces of shit put a MAG license plate frame on my fucking car, without my permission...

like i want to advertise for those thieving fucks.

shit that was worth the extra 50 bucks yo. :rolleyes: