hauling bikes, renting a trailer?

JonS

Anyone ever rent a trailer (enclosed) locally or able to offer suggestions?

Just picked up a tahoe recently and looking to take a vacation and haul two bikes with me. Riding bikes there is the 1st though but I'd like to be able to take more/different gear than I can cram into bike luggage.

There's a place in West Chester (Smiths Trailers?) that rents enclosed trailers completely set up for hauling motorcycles, but I know that doesn't help you since you're in Columbus. They are reasonably priced though I think. Depending how long you plan to be gone and where you're staying, you could pony up the cash for a cheap trailer at Tractor Supply. They're like $500+ depending how big a trailer you want.

There's a place in West Chester (Smiths Trailers?) that rents enclosed trailers completely set up for hauling motorcycles, but I know that doesn't help you since you're in Columbus. They are reasonably priced though I think. Depending how long you plan to be gone and where you're staying, you could pony up the cash for a cheap trailer at Tractor Supply. They're like $500+ depending how big a trailer you want.

TSC trailer big enough for 2 bikes is gonna run you around a grand. Not enclosed.

TSC trailer big enough for 2 bikes is gonna run you around a grand. Not enclosed.

I totally disagree with your comment given the fact that I have fit two bikes on my TSC trailer, which was roughly $500. I will be putting two bikes on my $500 trailer again in 1.5 weeks. His bike is bigger, so perhaps that may be the case for him, but it depends on what the other bike is, too. Another option would be Craigslist. Personally, I think buying a trailer is the best purchase ever. It has come in handy SO many times already and I've only had it for like 6 months.

I totally disagree with your comment given the fact that I have fit two bikes on my TSC trailer, which was roughly $500. I will be putting two bikes on my $500 trailer again in 1.5 weeks. His bike is bigger, so perhaps that may be the case for him, but it depends on what the other bike is, too. Another option would be Craigslist. Personally, I think buying a trailer is the best purchase ever. It has come in handy SO many times already and I've only had it for like 6 months.

BASTID!!!!! Mine was around 900. It'll fit 2 bikes but it's tight.

:confused: Sorry I'm not cool enough to be down with the l33t lingo ha ha.

You got ripped off? :D

I have a 4 x 7 trailer and I use every inch of that damn thing to fit two bikes, but look at the money I saved! :p

For hauling 1-2

vacation031Small.jpg

Have an enclosed trailer that will hold 4

Open trailer is your best bet, you'll get better gas mileage w/open trailer. If you go the renting route, it may be cheaper to rent one way for both legs of trip. Rent it here and drop off in never never land when you arrive, reserve now for return trip. I've used Uhaul's open trailers so many times now that the wife wants to buy a trailer.