Jazz music

Radio Flyer1647545514

Been getting into the Jazz music quite a bit lately and am looking for suggestions on musicians and the such to start looking into. I'm a big fan of the saxophone so anything incorporating that is a good suggestion to me.

I've only been listening to the 103.5 and need to start learning who some of these musicians are.

CD's I should go buy, artists to start sampling. Please help.

As far as sax you can't go wrong with Charlie Parker and John Coltrane. While they are very mainstream and big name, they are a necessity in a sax collection. If you're listening to 103.5 you are hearing a lot of Kenny G and Richard Elliot and one other name that is eluding me right now.

I like Jazz but Im not one of those connoisseur type people who can tell you everyone and everything.

A true test for that set of new speakers you are now the proud owner of!

I don't listen to much jazz, but here are some suggestions:

http://www.jazzbooks.com/miva/documents/handbook/07_suggested_listening.pdf

http://www.paris95.k12.il.us/phs/finearts/music/JazzList.html

Sample this and see where your interests are:

http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?genre=jazz

Start out with the well known guys: Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Stan Getz, etc. Not all of them play saxophone but they have guys in their bands that did. From there you can find out who those guys are and see what else they did.

The first jazz album I ever heard was Kind of Blue by Miles Davis (probably one of the most popular jazz albums in history).

Also, here's a big old list if you really want to start a serious collection: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_jazz_saxophonists

Thanks for the info. Went out and got some Kenny G yesterday and will go look for some others mentioned later in the week.

And as far as what kind of jazz I don't know. I'm sure I'll like a bit of both. I listen to lots of different kinds of music and don't like to get stuck on just one style. They all have good things to offer in my mind.

Wait... wait a minute here.

You're letting my receiver play JAZZ MUSIC??? WTF?

Just kidding man. Jazz is some of the best music to test out new audio equipment. I'll admit that I kick the ol Sirius radio over to jazz once in a while.

Guest tbutera2112
You heard the one running. They sound GREAT with two of them hooked up. Super satisfied with the purchase for sure.

What was the name of the song he played while he had em going?

dammit i was going to ask you that....that song was badass....now ill never know!

he said it was the gorillaz right? go check your ipod and let me know lol

dammit i was going to ask you that....that song was badass....now ill never know!

he said it was the gorillaz right? go check your ipod and let me know lol

I know who it was, just not the name of the song. I've only got 4 albums to sift through so it shouldn't be hard to find.

Guest tbutera2112
I know who it was, just not the name of the song. I've only got 4 albums to sift through so it shouldn't be hard to find.

lmk sir

Check out Weather Report if you want to get more into the fusion stuff. One of their most well known songs is Birdland. Also Tower of Power is another good one I remembered. The sax player from SNL was a member of that band.

Check out Weather Report if you want to get more into the fusion stuff. One of their most well known songs is Birdland. Also Tower of Power is another good one I remembered. The sax player from SNL was a member of that band.

Haha, I played drums on Birdland in junior high jazz band. Cool song.