cooper park

undr_psi

If this all happens, it will be awesome sauce. Glad there will be a sweet track close by to have fun on, better than having to take a trip to Nelson. I had more anti-1320 stuff prepared, but I would just get flamed for it, so I cut it out.

Why anti-1320?

Why not just pro-everything else?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why anti-1320?

Why not just pro-everything else?

...I don't get it. I am pro-everything else.

Edit: Except NASCAR, while I still appreciate what Jeff is doing for the project.

Edit 2: This is already shaping up for a flamethrower party. Pulling the emergency ejection lever on my spot in this thread.

What I would like to know is if some of the people on here who said "no 1320 no care" have ever ridden or driven in a car on a track like Mid Ohio or Putnam Park. Not just sat there and watched. It is one of the most fun things that I have ever done. I understand that everyone's car is setup differently, but even if you have a drag vehicle go to an open track day with your helmet and take a few rides with some of the cars. You might just change your mind on what you do and don't like. To me there is nothing like going at corner at 100+ mph; hitting the brakes hard; getting off the brakes and back into the throttle and powering through a corner faster than you ever could on the street. All while knowing that you will most likely be safe and just out in some grass *(Putnam) if anything goes wrong. Not in the front end of another oncoming car or telephone pole.

Plus at most of these events there are some pretty sweet (read: expensive exotics) being pushed to their limits, that the owners are more than willing to let you ride along in. :D

What I would like to know is if some of the people on here who said "no 1320 no care" have ever ridden or driven in a car on a track like Mid Ohio or Putnam Park. Not just sat there and watched. It is one of the most fun things that I have ever done. I understand that everyone's car is setup differently, but even if you have a drag vehicle go to an open track day with your helmet and take a few rides with some of the cars. You might just change your mind on what you do and don't like. To me there is nothing like going at corner at 100+ mph; hitting the brakes hard; getting off the brakes and back into the throttle and powering through a corner faster than you ever could on the street. All while knowing that you will most likely be safe and just out in some grass *(Putnam) if anything goes wrong. Not in the front end of another oncoming car or telephone pole.

Plus at most of these events there are some pretty sweet (read: expensive exotics) being pushed to their limits. :D

I'll never forget the first time Paul rode with me at autocross. As we were pulling up to the line, he was on his Sidekick all "Yeah, whatever". Then I launched. :D He was scared shitless. At the end of the run, he got out and said, whilst breathing heavily, "Wow, thats way faster than it looks."

I'll never forget the first time Paul rode with me at autocross. As we were pulling up to the line, he was on his Sidekick all "Yeah, whatever". Then I launched. :D He was scared shitless. At the end of the run, he got out and said, whilst breathing heavily, "Wow, thats way faster than it looks."

Exactly even autocross is a blast, and thats just in a damn parking lot.

Guest 614Streets

Plus at most of these events there are some pretty sweet (read: expensive exotics) being pushed to their limits, that the owners are more than willing to let you ride along in. :D

No 1320 no care. Just thought I would say it again :bangbang:

Guest Removed
To everyone here who calls themselves racing enthusiasts.. PSSSH, right. :rolleyes:

lol your dumb

I will watch anything on wheels that "race" I will be there as much as I can.

what this guy says..

Just making the point that I don't personally care for those type of events. I know that many CR members would have an intrest in the park. I never said it was a bad idea, just not my thing.

i just feel they should stick with the first idea... the drag strip etc. most of franklinton did not like to hear drag strip... some of the roads down that way are used for one now anyway. and that is why they didnt go for it.

Cooper Park will get more use out of Arshot's plans as an automotive center than anything else on the table. Sky Garden is the dumbest thing to build in an area with over 1 million tillable acres of farmland within a 10 minute drive of downtown.

It's not even taking up your tax dollars to be successful. Fine, there isn't a 1/4 track or even an 1/8, but the other events it will be able to host will further strengthen this area.

+1 for CPX. :thumbup:

huh, seems like a cool idea. Can someone tell me more details please?

like, would it have a drag track (1/4 mile) or would it just be a nascar type of thing?

The developers website for Cooper Park is here http://www.CooperParkComplex.com It has a 5 minute video and a facts link that will provide a lot of answers to questions about the project.

The http://www.CooperTalk.com site was created to counter the erroneous claims of the opponent group from German Village as well as provide an online petition for those that are interested.

Bruno

CooperTalk.com

Saw you last night on TV, Bruno!!! :thumbup:

Interesting that with all the controversy and potential positives/negatives the news was more interested in where a proponent lives.

Nice.

Anyway, The Dispatch today had an article regarding the Cooper Park proposal and along with that is a readers pole. Word is that one of the ROAR founders has emailed that pole to a long list and asked them to vote against it. (not revealing names but somebody we know has the inside line on this type of info)

So in light of that, I would like to ask that we do the same. If you can't make the meeting, vote in the pole! Send this to your email list. I guess two can play that game.

Here is the link:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/05/19/hotissue_racetrack_noise.html

Nothing makes me smile more than people getting their panties in a bunch when you knock their type of facing :)

This should be a great thing for car nuts of central ohio and I hope it happens. There is nothing better than seeing people bang door to door on a short track.

• 3 months later...

Lets Stay involved! :)

Article int eh Dispatch few days ago..

Plans for the proposed Cooper Park racetrack were filed with Columbus zoning officials today, another necessary step before the Columbus City Council will take up the project and dive into a heated debate.

A holding company related to Arshot Investment Corp. filed the paperwork Arshot needs for the council to rezone the land at the Cooper Stadium site just west of Downtown in order to build a half-mile oval track and an automotive and technology center.

"I don't think this is going to be approved without a fight," said German Village real-estate agent Regina Acosta Tobin, a member of ROAR (Redevelop Our Area Responsibly), a group opposing the track.

"There are a lot of very upset people."

Enough that Arshot now bills the project as "the Center for Automotive Research & Technology at Cooper Park."

The emphasis has switched from racing to research.

"The racing piece scares people," said John Bickford, vice president of Jeff Gordon Inc.

The NASCAR star's company is working with Arshot and lending its name to the project to generate interest, Bickford said.

Let the lobbying commence.

So far, the boards of the Franklin County Metro Parks and the Grange Insurance Audubon Center have come out against it, saying the noise will ruin the atmosphere of the new Audubon park 1 mile east of the Cooper Park site.

The condominium association of Waterford Tower Downtown also opposes it.

"We're talking about thousands of people that will be negatively impacted for the benefit of a property owner," said Glenn Kacic, the condominium association's president.

Meanwhile, the Franklinton Board of Trade has come out in favor of the project, as has the Southwest Area Commission.

The commission in June said the positives outweigh the negatives, especially the potential for new jobs.

Arshot needed to file the rezoning application by the end of this week to satisfy contingencies in its option to buy the Cooper Stadium site from Franklin County.

The earliest the issue can go before the city Development Commission is Nov.11, said Linda LaCloche of the city's Building and Zoning Services Department. The City Council likely won't discuss it before January, she said.

In March, Franklin County commissioners gave Arshot until May 3, 2011, to buy the property. Arshot agreed to pay $3.4 million.

Now, Arshot has to sell the idea to city officials.

Arshot said the $30 million to $40 million project would include a hotel and restaurants and create more than 300 full- and part-time jobs.

The developer has promised to build 35-foot-tall sound walls to muffle the noise at the 8,500-seat track. A 25- to 30-foot wall would be built along the southern property line.

Arshot has said the complex also would host such events as rodeos, concerts, community festivals and trade shows.

"Instead of having an empty ballpark on I-70, it becomes a showcase," said Joe Sugar, Arshot's general counsel.

Officials at Columbus State Community College and Ohio State University's Center for Automotive Research have endorsed the plans for the automotive research center.

Arshot has talked with both about establishing satellite facilities there.

"I think they have an interesting idea that could lead to economic development," said Giorgio Rizzoni, director of OSU's center.

Arshot has no backup plan for the site if the city rejects his proposal, Sugar said.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Cooper Park Update:

On Thursday evening this week a public meeting will be held at the Columbus Development Commission. This commission makes recommendations to the Columbus City Council and will be very critical in the ultimate decision to approve the project. If you would like to see this project move forward, your help is needed to demonstrate support at this meeting.

Meeting starts at 6pm - Plan to arrive early if possible!

Thursday, Feb. 10

Columbus Development Commission - Public Hearing Room

757 Carolyn Avenue

Columbus, OH 43224----> Google map here ---> http://goo.gl/maps/bTnV

ROARColumbus is circulating messages with the intent to crowd the room with opponents. Here is an email message being sent out by Regina Tobin, and as usual, it contains typical ROAR misinformation:

Hi All.

After 3 years of working on this controversial project of the Cooper Stadium redevelopment plans the time has come for us to show our force in numbers.

This coming Thursday is the zoning hearing. This is a very important hearing. We need to have a "standing room" only crowd. It is critical the members of zoning see the turnout of people opposed to the site being turned into a motorsports complex. Recently Green Lawn Cemetery hired an local Columbus Acoustical consultant to replicate the noise level the developer said will be audible with the two 35 foot proposed noise walls. The outside noise levels were so loud the people assembled for the demonstration had to yell at each other to be heard over the noise. The developer's people were in attendance and confirmed the noise levels were accurate on their sound meters. Needless to say they were uncomfortable with the demonstration.

You do not have to speak at the hearing. Your presence alone will speak loud enough. Please come and show your support in opposing this ridiculous plan for our downtown neighborhoods.

The meeting starts at 6:00 PM, address: 757 Carolyn Ave. Columbus OH 43224 Google Map link http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=757+carolyn+avenue,+col type in the remainder of the address and it will provide the exact location with driving directions.

Any questions please contact Regina . Thanks for all of your support over the last 3 long years. Please pass this along to others you know are opposed to this project. Let's finish the job!

Regina

The only developer representatives in attendance were a video guy and PR person. Neither were "uncomfortable" with the demonstration and reported that people they spoke with felt that the sounds would not be a problem. Here are the comments of the Southwest Area Commissioners that were at the sound test:

Unfinished Business: S. Coe indicated that no email questions or concerns were received regarding CoopeStadium. S. Coe also indicated that R. Horn, C. Noble, R. Miller and S. Coe attended a demonstration of the potential noise at Cooper Stadium. R. Miller indicated that the noise was audible but it was not disruptive. R. Horn indicatethat the pre sound meeting took place in the Chapel. When the sound began R. Horn indicated that you could not hearthe sound at the Chapel. He indicated that even near the source of the sound it was not very loud. R. Horn indicate that he spoke with a woman at the trailer park and she indicated that she did not hear anything. C. Noble indicated she was able to have a phone conversation without interruption while the 85decible sound was playing. J. Waltke indicated that S. Coe called him at work and he could hear her clearly and it really just sounded like she was driving in her car.

Obviously ROAR is going to continue saying whatever they want to mislead people and prevent this development.

If you want this project to happen, your support at this meeting is needed, and requested. A "show of force" by the automotive community would be very effective. If you can, please forward or post this information to other forums/communities to help make them aware of the meeting.

If you have any questions, or would like to know more about how you could help the grassroots effort, please send me a PM.

Thanks,

Bruno Tabacchi

http://www.coopertalk.com