New turbo fail?

MackDaddy43

So I finished putting the front end back together; new turbo and all.

The turbo was a used turbo with about 65k on it I got from some yard (just another little baby k03). I also did a coolant flush, oil change, New stern snub, and seafoamed the vac line.

I let it run at idle for a while and rev'd it a little to try to get the fluids flowing in the new turbo and everything seemed fine. Except the dv was significantly louder (it's a baileys, but never sounded like this) .

I decided to test drive it and that's where it all went down hill. Whenever I would get to about 3k it would start hesitating HARD, like literally jumping forward. Then it would boost super hard. The car feels faster than ever, but obviously there's a problem.

I don't even know where to begin... Cel is on, but it tends to be since I'm straight piped.

So I finished putting the front end back together; new turbo and all.

The turbo was a used turbo with about 65k on it I got from some yard (just another little baby k03). I also did a coolant flush, oil change, New stern snub, and seafoamed the vac line.

I let it run at idle for a while and rev'd it a little to try to get the fluids flowing in the new turbo and everything seemed fine. Except the dv was significantly louder (it's a baileys, but never sounded like this) .

I decided to test drive it and that's where it all went down hill. Whenever I would get to about 3k it would start hesitating HARD, like literally jumping forward. Then it would boost super hard. The car feels faster than ever, but obviously there's a problem.

I don't even know where to begin... Cel is on, but it tends to be since I'm straight piped.

Sounds almost like a boost leak somwhere, if it's building boost, falls on its face, then takes back off. Check your DV, lines, ect. Did you have a reason to dick with your N75 ?

No boost gauge. Boost leak sounds probable now that I think of it. I didn't touch the n75 as far as I know. I'll check the lines again tomorrow. I was really hoping I would be done with it tonight lol. How would I know if it's the wg?

Well your first problem is that you dont have a boost gauge. Second problem sounds like a boost leak.

I can fix that problem for you BTW, I have an AWE center vent gauge that I'm willing to part with for $100.

Lol I'd rather go with a normal pod that matches my aem uego. Thanks tho.

I'll be checking the lines tonight.

But on a positive note, I got the whole brake system done on the jetta! Now I just gotta wait for the glow plug so it'll cold start without help :)

unplug fuel pump fuse and crank?

Will that still work? or would I have already done damage?

I only drove it for about 10 mins, but had it idling for more obv

Thats how my buddy fucked up his brand new turbo, all he did was start the car idle it and drive it. The way most BB turbos are is your prime the turbo with oil, depending how long the thing has been sitting, put oil feed back on. Unplug the fuel pump then crank until pressure. some dsm guys do the whole spin the whole oil pump deal with a air tool also.

thats why I wasn't sure if it would cause damage, because it's oil AND water cooled.

I got the bentley manual, so I'll check all of my lines tonight.

Should I have replaced the vac lines or something?

When I always did turbo installs or changing out things, I always change out all the lines and clamps. they are so damn cheap. there should be no reason why old broken or brittle lines should stay on.

Also did you make sure all your pressure sorces are correct, wastegate ect?

They didn't seem to be broken or brittle, but thats deff something to consider.

And what do you mean are my pressure sources correct? Its an internally wastegated turbo

I know its internally gated, but it still needs a pressure sorce like to the hotpipe? Depending on how you have it set up or if you have a boost controler. I have seen these hooked up backwards before.