High Speed video; Finger in a table saw:

Science Abuse

I can't see the video at work, but is this the saw where the blade instantly stops when it touches meat?

If by "meat" you mean "hot dog," then yes.

Except on this one, the dude actually puts his finger against it, too.

We have one of those where I work. I teach the industrial arts program at Marysville and we picked it up about 2 years ago. It is a great table saw. The fence is solid, surface flat, blades are super easy to change and the guard believe it or not is the best I have ever used on a table saw. The miter gauge and stock blade were junk.

Ours has been tripped a few times. Not from fingers, but grounding it out. I hit it once with a metal jig which grounded the blade and tripped it. Cost me $80 for a new brake cartridge. Seeing how 100+ teenagers use it daily, it is holding up very well. In the end it costs about $1,000 more then a table saw without it on the full size industrial model. I think the contractor version is around $700. Well worth the price. I have done some things I would never do on a normal table saw. I would never let a kid cut Dados on a normal table saw, but this one I will.

We have one of those where I work. I teach the industrial arts program at Marysville and we picked it up about 2 years ago. It is a great table saw. The fence is solid, surface flat, blades are super easy to change and the guard believe it or not is the best I have ever used on a table saw. The miter gauge and stock blade were junk.

Ours has been tripped a few times. Not from fingers, but grounding it out. I hit it once with a metal jig which grounded the blade and tripped it. Cost me $80 for a new brake cartridge. Seeing how 100+ teenagers use it daily, it is holding up very well. In the end it costs about $1,000 more then a table saw without it on the full size industrial model. I think the contractor version is around $700. Well worth the price. I have done some things I would never do on a normal table saw. I would never let a kid cut Dados on a normal table saw, but this one I will.

They finally got one huh? I remember travis Raush in 2nd period Mr. Wades class, cut his finger almost off. It was crazy because me and another member on here was in that class. I remember using the band saw and seeing Mr. Wade calm as hell walk over and say, " Travis go to the office now". That travis kid walked by holding his hand without saying anything, just with a look in which I knew what happen. Then we seen all the blood all over the saw and floor. BTW since you teach that class now, are all my pen things still stuck all over the ceiling? We use to stick them in the gair gun and shoot the ceiling, Must of been aleast 20-30 of them over time.

BTW since you teach that class now, are all my pen things still stuck all over the ceiling?

I still find things with "Mr. Wade" written on them. Bill Keck is still there in the Ag dept. Your pens are no longer in the ceiling. Can't believe he let you get away with that. I told the kids they are out of the class with a ZERO if they shoot a nail anywhere but wood.

Xyster101... how well does that thing deal with damp or wet wood? One of my other forums was discussing that the other day, and we wondered if it would trigger from improperly cured wood, or wood that got damp during delivery.

It does ok. I have cut fresh green wood and it worked. If you have something super soggy like a brand new pressure treated piece, it will stop on it own (without firing the brake) and blink lights at you. Then you either use another saw or you can use the over ride key. The key lets you bypass the brake security system. You have to manually put the key in and hold it while turning the computer on. Never did this. You can also cut metal if you use the key.

We have one of these at work. We got it last year after a guy almost cut his thumb off. The funny thing is yesterday the guy who campaigned for it and then taught everyone how to use it decided it would be a good idea to cut aluminum in it with out using the override key. He said he didn't realize that aluminum was conductive.

Haha, no kidding. Maybe that little Asian girl would still have all of her fingers. Didn't they nix Wood class after she pulled that?

yeah i dont think there was anymore cutting for the rest of the year. I remeber Tony sturggle in 8th grade did a bang up job of removing his index finger and thumb.

My shop teacher could have benefited from it too. Cut off his thumb and index while showing the class the correct and safe way to cut a piece of wood.

apparently its NOT the correct and safe way lol.

thats kinda like the ATF agent who proclaims "im the only one professional enough to use this glock" then proceeds to shoot himself in the leg.

I still find things with "Mr. Wade" written on them. Bill Keck is still there in the Ag dept. Your pens are no longer in the ceiling. Can't believe he let you get away with that. I told the kids they are out of the class with a ZERO if they shoot a nail anywhere but wood.

It does ok. I have cut fresh green wood and it worked. If you have something super soggy like a brand new pressure treated piece, it will stop on it own (without firing the brake) and blink lights at you. Then you either use another saw or you can use the over ride key. The key lets you bypass the brake security system. You have to manually put the key in and hold it while turning the computer on. Never did this. You can also cut metal if you use the key.

Wow thats pretty crazy, I had small engines with bill keck lol.