Buying a new car - thoughts on the ford escape?

Veritas

I haven't been car shopping in a few years but I was curious if any of you guys had any experiences with escapes. We're looking at one right now and i'm trying to find out what some problems to look out for would be if any major things, how hard is it to work on the tranni on the cars, do they break down pretty frequently and all that jazz.

If anyone has any experiences to share about them i'd appreciate it. We're looking at a 2002.

My friend bought a used Escape about 2 years ago. Within a month something happened to the motor and it needed replaced. All I remember is the thing sounded like a diesel engine when it went. After getting the motor replaced the thing ranfine and still does to this day.

He had bought a warranty so there was little out of pocket expense for the fix.

Mine is at 80K now, it is an 03 4cyl stick shift. I get great gas mileage with it. Only problem I have had with it was the driver wheel bearing needed replaced at 75K (pretty common problem with them). Other than that is a good daily and have no complaints.

yep plan on some struts/shocks after 60k but its all maintenance stuff.. only catastrophic thing i had happen was a rear cat plug up and melted the dpfe sensor(it was kinda wild) but it was under warranty.

A friend of mine had one and really the only problem he had was the airbag light would stay on. Had to clean a connection under the passenger side seat every couple months to fix it. We finally sealed the thing in silicon and it never did it again.

Oh and he always wished he got the one with 4x4.

The Misses has an '05 V6. No issues what-so-ever outside of routine maintenance.

:thumbup:

KillJoy

Wife had a 2002, was trouble free through like 100k i think other than needing a clutch. We traded it in and got her a 2008 V6, MUCH nicer and yet to give us a single problem.

I've got an '05 V6 4wd and love it. 90k completely trouble free miles. It has a ton of room inside for a compact SUV. I've put a big eliptical, a small dirtbike, and a bunch of other stuff inside on different occasions when people were just laughing telling me they wouldn't fit. I've also towed 4200 lbs with it and still got 19 mpg with o/d off. I routinely tow a small trailer and two bikes (1750 lbs) and get 22+mpg on trips.

Ford is supposed to have made a change in '05 to beef up the trans because the prior years used to have trouble. The trans has no filter so I have mine flushed every 30k and everything is good so far. I'd love to have the new one with 6-speed auto and 40 more horsepower but it depends on your budget. Another issue of slight annoyance is that you have to pull the upper intake on the V6 to change two of the plugs.