How UNreliable are WRX's?

Bam

I've been scouring craigslist/autotrader and it seems like 1in4 have had the engine's replaced with less than 75k miles because of a seller stated common issue. What is it?

The few cars that I'm referencing appear to be stock or very mildly modified, so is it a case of actual unreliability or owners poor mod choices/bad drivers?

Just kinda concerns me about picking on up with decent miles....anyone chime in?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to go and do the title thing next week I think, I am not looking forward to going to the Title Agency. Doesn't it take forever?

You shouldn't have to do anything. The bank should cancel the lein, record doing so, and send you the title....

I had an 02 wrx. Rear end went out when I got it. I'll blame that on the previous owner. The tranny went out and I'll blame that on me launching it hard. The only thing that was subarus fault was the junk fuel lines across the intake that would leak gas when the temperature got below 30. All in all a good car if taken care of.

You shouldn't have to do anything. The bank should cancel the lein, record doing so, and send you the title....

They sent me the title, notarized that there is no lien anymore, but you have to go and get a title in my name ONLY.

I think the most common issues are that people mod them without a tune, or put a off the shelf tune on the car that isn't specific for the particular car. As far as my experience with my 2008 2.5L WRX it was driven hard a few times and I put 50K miles on it and never had any issues at all. Of course, I was the first owner. As far as insurance goes, I just told my company I had an Impreza, which it is, and gave them the vin#. It's not my fault they labeled it wrong, lol.

I have to go and do the title thing next week I think, I am not looking forward to going to the Title Agency. Doesn't it take forever?

no. once its paid off the bank will transfer/issue it into your name. That's it you may not even get a title in the mail. The DMR keeps a e-copy of it for you thou.

I think the most common issues are that people mod them without a tune, or put a off the shelf tune on the car that isn't specific for the particular car. As far as my experience with my 2008 2.5L WRX it was driven hard a few times and I put 50K miles on it and never had any issues at all. Of course, I was the first owner. As far as insurance goes, I just told my company I had an Impreza, which it is, and gave them the vin#. It's not my fault they labeled it wrong, lol.

the VIN will tell them its a WRX.

the VIN will tell them its a WRX.

I thought it would too, but it really didn't. When I called for a quote for a WRX they told me like $3300 per year for full coverage. When I got the car I told them I got a 2008 Impreza and gave them the vin number and ended up paying $1250 per year. I thought they would have seen it too, maybe I was just a fluke.

no. once its paid off the bank will transfer/issue it into your name. That's it you may not even get a title in the mail. The DMR keeps a e-copy of it for you thou.

That is not what happened, I got the Notarized title that the car was paid off in the mail and a letter with it telling me I needed to go to to a title agency and take the notarized title they sent me so I could obtain my title showing no lien.

wrx's are very reliable if you take care of it. Most wrx's blow up due to lack of maintence/ or they abused the hell out of it. You can drive the wrx hard, but then you gotta maintain it as well. You can't just put a Intake/Turbo back and start beating the hell out of it. You would need a reflash/tune. My wrx blew up because of the previous owner was an idiot. But the motor was rebuilt by PTM and it runs like a champ now. The weakest part of a EJ205 is the rodbearings, if a wrx blew up, that is the most likely cause. Some people think it is okay to run Mobil 1 5w30 extended performance for 7500+ miles because the oil said so. But Mobil 1 lasts about 3k in the wrx motors and needs to be changed, extended performance or not. The wrx's are good cars. Just gotta find one that is well taken care of.

the insurance for my STi wagon was 100 a month. I put it as an Impreza, State Farm never said a word about it, even when i totaled it. It may be because my dad has some massive policies with them and they wanted to hook a brotha up, either way it was cheaper than when i drove my 02 WRX, F-350 7.3l, or my current escalade.

That is not what happened, I got the Notarized title that the car was paid off in the mail and a letter with it telling me I needed to go to to a title agency and take the notarized title they sent me so I could obtain my title showing no lien.

Hmmm. Aside from a lease, I've never had to do anything like that. I've paid off a dozen cars and they always just sent the title (which was always in my name already) with a stamp that said lein released xx/xx/20xx.

Then when I sold the car I just filled out the back, got it notarized and was done.

I'm sure different banks do it differently. I know some of them do electronic titles, where you would have to go to the title dept after it's paid off.

Either way, it shouldn't be a big deal. As long as there isn't a big line it's never taken me any longer than 10 minutes to get a title transferred.

I did this a little less than a year ago and this was what I had to do.