Advertising Question

Drewhop

My mom runs a small sewing machine repair shop. I am trying to help her get her name out. Dont know much about it. First would be trying to get her name to appear if someone searched for it. How would I go about helping her do that.

Go through all the big ones - Yahoo, Google, Bing, etc. Find their version of a 'local' business listing. You can usually add the business yourself, update the phone, address, services offered, and such.

That's a start. She likely won't have the cash to make much of a dent on the major search engine results.

Go through all the big ones - Yahoo, Google, Bing, etc. Find their version of a 'local' business listing. You can usually add the business yourself, update the phone, address, services offered, and such.

That's a start. She likely won't have the cash to make much of a dent on the major search engine results.

Cool I appreciate it.

There is not a huge market for what she does but it would be nice if people searched her they would actually find something.

Sewing forums are a cheap start full of people with that type of interest. A good business move also would be to have her contact sewing machine manufacturers. If one of them is willing to ship their machines to her to be fixed she may not even need to do work for the public.

I don't know anything about the sewing machine business, but I have had a couple of ways I've gotten cheap results for my detailing business. The first is craigslist. I just made 2 different ads with Word and since posting them for free in the services section of the site I've been getting 2-4 appointments per week out of it. Also, like Beast said, I joined a detailing forum and have got some clients from there as well. The other place I have found success for cheap is advertising through my church. People, especially in her line of work, like to hire businesses affiliated with their church.

The first thing to do is search engine optimization. Google it, read how google identifies and classifies web pages, and then set up your sites, tags, text areas, site maps, etc...

The next thing to do is get your site linked with other similar sites. Since its a sewing machine repair shop, you'd wanna get linked on sewing forums, and other sewing related

sites. This will help google validate your site as related to sewing.

After that your pretty much where my site is now. To move up the list I'd have to buy ad space on other wedding related sites.

You can do the ad words program, but from what I've read it gets expensive quick. It might just be a wedding photography thing, but $900 per month seems to be about normal for my field. And that might not even work. I'd think for something as specific as sewing machine repair you could do well on google just by following my first suggestions

and also by mapping your company on google maps.

I second the craigslist ad suggestion. It is a free web link back to your site. I use it and I get as much traffic from craigslist as I get from any other means of advertising I do at the moment.

Also get the business on facebook and have her get people becoming fans. That is a great free way to network.