Awesome! Yet another issue with my truck.

Sully

I received a questionnaire card in the mail a few weeks ago from the NHTSA. Then just received this follow-up email from them today. I really don't want to drive my truck now.

Of the Ford F150 Trucks that I have inspected in the field, Lamp Fault Code (LFC) of 4-2 is quite common. It indicates a “Restraint System – Impact Sensor Fault.” This could be a problem with the sensor, wiring, etc.

Our investigation is on 2004-2006 Ford F150 Trucks and centers around the remote possibility of a driver air bag inadvertent deployment.

You can find information on the investigation at:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/defect/defectsearch.cfm

Then enter <EA10001> in the NHTSA Action Number Box.

The information reads in part:

FORD REPORTS THAT INADVERTENT AIRBAG DEPLOYMENTS ARE MOST LIKELY CAUSED BY THE AIRBAG HORN MOUNTING PLATE'S SHARP METAL EDGE THAT EVENTUALLY CAN CHAFE/CUT THE AIRBAG CLOCK SPRING JUMPER WIRE LEADING TO A SHORT-TO-GROUND CONDITION.”

Other documents can be looked up as well.

I haven't read that link yet that he gave me. Does it say in there that it will be fixed for free?

Edit: I just read it. No it doesn't state that it will be fixed for free or anything about getting it fixed.

Sweet. I might lose a tooth and become a true redneck:

Summary:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/images/spacer.gif FORD REPORTS THAT INADVERTENT AIRBAG DEPLOYMENTS ARE MOST LIKELY CAUSED BY THE AIRBAG HORN MOUNTING PLATE'S SHARP METAL EDGE THAT EVENTUALLY CAN CHAFE/CUT THE AIRBAG CLOCK SPRING JUMPER WIRE LEADING TO A SHORT-TO-GROUND CONDITION. TWO HUNDRED TWENTY FIVE (225) OF THE 323 REPORTS WERE FOR AIRBAG DEPLOYMENTS RESULTING IN 66 INJURIES WITH THE REMAINING 98 REPORTS FOR AN AIRBAG LIGHT ILLUMINATION CONDITION. INJURIES INCLUDE ABRASION, CONTUSION AND CUTS TO THE ARM/HAND/FACE AND/OR UPPER BODY REGIONS. ONE OWNER REPORTED A BROKEN TOOTH AND TWO OWNERS REPORTED A LOSS OF CONSCIOUSNESS AS A RESULT OF THE AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT. FORD MADE AN INTERIM DESIGN CHANGE TO THE HORN MOUNTING PLATE IN JANUARY 2006 AND THEN MAJOR CHANGES TO THE HORN MOUNTING PLATE, AIRBAG MODULE AND CLOCK SPRING JUMPER WIRE DESIGNS IN JUNE 2006 FOR THE MY2007 VEHICLES. THIS ENGINEERING ANALYSIS IS OPENED TO ASCERTAIN THE IMPACT OF THIS DEFECT CONDITION.