2001 mustang gt vert

armin922

Guest tbutera2112
tell me what you know about them. My gf is planning on buying one with 53000 miles. Anything i should look out for? THANKS Its a vert btw.

-spark plugs like to blow out and strip the heads

-check the intake manifold coolant crossover, if its plastic, they like to break...if its aluminum in the front molded into the plastic you will be ok

-find out which transmission, 01s had two different trans, t45 are shitty and like to blow syncros and lock up in gear....t3650 is a little bit better....unless its an auto and then disregard that

-mine popped a headgasket at 140k, but youre way off from that, and im sure shes not gonna drive it as hard as im sure the previous owner of mine drove it

other than that, you may run into a couple tiny things, but shouldnt be anything major...the biggest issue is going to be the spark plugs, ask if theyre original or if they have been changed, ask for any service records...and if you buy it, spend an hour and replace all the spark plugs and torque them to spec properly...most engines you dont "need" to torque them, but with the way the heads are on these (4 threads in the plug holes) you NEED to tq them to 13ft lbs, nothing more and nothing less...if they blow, it can get expensive

and make sure to check out that intake...that can get expensive too.

also, valve covers leak, but i think thats any engine

when i got mine, it was a fuckin mess...it fell apart in 5k miles, so just be sure to look it all over...head gasket blew, intake cracked and dumped coolant into my plug wells frying a COP, oil from VC got in my plug wells and caused a miss, and a spark plug blew out and destroyed another COP on its way out

Guest tbutera2112
they claim these were the fastest of the NA 4.6 years. it also has a t-45 tranny. which are junk, i dont suggest banging any gears, ANY.

early-mid 01 had t45, mid-late 01 had tr3650 ;)

and ive never heard ANYONE claim that they are the fastest, theres no difference between 99-01.5 and then a new block came in 01.5-04, and those were all the same...i could see someone foolishly arguing that the newer blocks are faster, but not one specific year....ive been on tons of stangs sites, for years now...never heard this claim until now lol

only differences that changes on these engines between years are the intake manifolds, i think in 02 they got the aluminum crossover stock, and the heads were redesigned slightly in LATE 03 and 04, to include 8 threads for the spark plugs instead of 4

Guest tbutera2112
Is she going to be comfortable driving a rwd car in the winter?? Just keep it stock and i dont think you will have many mechanical probs other then the normal wear and tear.

didnt even think of this...ive had a couple rwd vehicles in winter time, and i can honestly say my 99 gt got around the worst....nothing like stopping for a light or parking in a parking lot and then being stuck and unable to go anywhere....my car had wide tires on it though which im sure didnt help, but they were KDWS (a true all season, even for the snow)

Guest tbutera2112
i would tell them 7800... you cant compare value to the 03/04 because of the redesigned heads... if it were an 03-04 8500 would be good...ide say 8k max

Not that much more. You def have some negotiating room. Also, look in the vinal boot behind the rear seat. Look for signs of water leakage into that area. The tops tend to develope holes around the rear window. It's a simple fix with some silicone.

I know you're talking about a vert but back in Feb 09 I bought a 99 gt, 62k miles, 18" dd bullits, loaded up, black leather, etc, 5spd, coupe for $4500. I think $8500 is a rip, especially private party. hell the thing is 12 years old...

didnt even think of this...ive had a couple rwd vehicles in winter time, and i can honestly say my 99 gt got around the worst....nothing like stopping for a light or parking in a parking lot and then being stuck and unable to go anywhere....my car had wide tires on it though which im sure didnt help, but they were KDWS (a true all season, even for the snow)

FACT: RWD cars (especially Mustangs) suck in snow (or any weather)

FACT: RWD cars (especially Mustangs) suck in snow (or any weather)

Well, I have yet to have a problem in the snow or the rain...even with the Vortech, it is my daily driver and I ran my summer tires all year round last year til recently when I got all seasons. I think a RWD car is ok as long you're not a retard and know the limits of the car. But it does suck to learn the limits of the car the hard way.:rolleyes:

Well, I have yet to have a problem in the snow or the rain...even with the Vortech, it is my daily driver and I ran my summer tires all year round last year til recently when I got all seasons. I think a RWD car is ok as long you're not a retard and know the limits of the car. But it does suck to learn the limits of the car the hard way.:rolleyes:
i

ran ran all of last year (2009-2010 winter) with bald nittos. needless to say, it was scary as fuck. 25MPH is any kind of icy precipitation.

Good for you.You are the all star of driving mustangs in the rain/snow.

I know you're talking about a vert but back in Feb 09 I bought a 99 gt, 62k miles, 18" dd bullits, loaded up, black leather, etc, 5spd, coupe for $4500. I think $8500 is a rip, especially private party. hell the thing is 12 years old...

2010 - 2001 != 12.