New 'Deltawing' IndyCar design

Zeppelin

Let me explain a little better since your ego is giving your comprehension a narrow mind. I'm interested in how it would perform because of what seems like the obvious issues with it. I'm always interested in seeing someone prove something I'm not so sure I believe. Otherwise, why would I want to see it? Here, I'll help you a little more with an analogy since I'd hate to have you "slap me around". (What a fuckstick.:rolleyes:) I may see a hill I don't believe a truck can make it up. No way, I think. But I'm damn sure interested in seeing the guy try! I've seen many things in my years that I thought would fail and didn't, and even more that did. Next time, try opening your mind to different perspectives instead of being an asshole, first. Or, just shut up if you can't take the time to say something constructive.

What's with the personal attacks? Fuckstick? Really? A little unneccesary. I never attacked you, so I don't see what your problem is.

I'm all for new and interesting designs. The "Diamond" layout would be interesting to see run. The six-wheeled Tyrell P34 was an interesting idea. This isn't an issue of rejecting a departure from the norm because it is different. This is a rejection due to it's ignorance of the physics involved in making a car turn. If this design was for drag racing, I'd be right there with you. But it's not.

1. The front tires are much too thin. Compare their width to the width of the cockpit. We have a general idea of how wide the cockpit needs to be to fit a human, so we can get an idea of the width of the front tires. A 4"-5" wide tire is not going to have the mechanical grip needed for either braking or turning. The contact patch just isn't there..

2. Front track is way too narrow. Track width is important in steady-state corning as it effects the amount of weight transfer. A narrower track sees more weight transfer. More weight transfer means a larger discrepancy between the inside and outside tire, and lower total available grip. This is bad enough as-is, but it will compound the problem with #1.

3. Both mass and aerodynamic balance are shifted too far back. A tire's grip increases as more weight is put on it. (Although the coefficient relating downwards pressure and maximum grip lessens as pressure goes up, which is what makes #2 an issue). High speed cornering will tend to massive understeer as the rears will have far greater grip than the front. Low speed cornering will be unpredictable as they appear to be trying to hurt grip in the front to balance the heavy rear. As track conditions can and will vary, this will make the rear war with the front as grip varies and the car will understeer in some corners and snap oversteer in others.

4. This is obviously a low-downforce design as there is a lack of wings. But depending on the floor of the car to provide the adequate downforce is a problem in and off itself. First, unevenness in the tack surface can cause the available downforce to vary greatly or even "popping" the low pressure area by letting more air in. Secondly, diffusers require a turbulent low pressure area behind the car to accellerate the undercar air out the back. This means there's no clean air for the car behind. Possibly the use of only ground effect aero will minimize this. But more than likely, a following car will see lift in the front as the leading car's turbulence rides over the following car's nose. And with only 20% of the cars weight to counteract that, we'll likely see this happen:

Granted, that was on the crest of a hill, but it was also a properly balanced car.

This design could only really work on a Super-Oval, would be a PITA to drive on a smaller oval, and the team would have to just suffer through a road course. If this design were to be chosen, Indy would just become NASCAR with different cars. And as was mentioned above, with fully faired wheels it isn't exactly "open-wheeled" is it?

Just an fyi from the Serious Wheels article:

"Initial concept work by Ben Bowlby started with a clean sheet approach and began in January, 2009 at Target Chip Ganassi Racing in Indianapolis."

I would think Ganassi Racing knows a little bit about what they are doing.

I'm still undecided if I like this direction or not. I'm looking forward to seeing the first actual trips around the track to see what this thing will really do though.

Just an fyi from the Serious Wheels article:

"Initial concept work by Ben Bowlby started with a clean sheet approach and began in January, 2009 at Target Chip Ganassi Racing in Indianapolis."

I would think Ganassi Racing knows a little bit about what they are doing.

I'm still undecided if I like this direction or not. I'm looking forward to seeing the first actual trips around the track to see what this thing will really do though.

This is what I was touching on. Does it look 'right' to us? Maybe not, but maybe there's something there we don't know or understand or we're missing. So, I say, throw the fucker out there and let's see what it can do! lol

To Draco, I sincerely apologize if you meant no ill will in your post. I'm not one to attack someone without provocation. I may've misunderstood or misread your post and felt it was directed to me and my statements. If you go back and read it with that in mind, you may see why I was mistaken.

Either way, I'm over it. I've been more specific as to what I was trying to convey previously, so there shouldn't be a problem.

I am curious as to why you only picked out the fuckstick portion instead of covering any other part of my post since some of the other content kinda explains why I was pissed. Of course, once you've attacked someone, they kinda stop processing what you're really trying to say and only here the 'fuckstick' part . lol ;)

The claim is the car will go faster than the current car using half the hp and be 100% more fuel efficient doing it. The article seems to be eluding to them trying to get the cost to operate a car for the season back down to where someone other than a mega corporation can afford to have some fun. :)

I am curious as to why you only picked out the fuckstick portion instead of covering any other part of my post since some of the other content kinda explains why I was pissed. Of course, once you've attacked someone, they kinda stop processing what you're really trying to say and only here the 'fuckstick' part . lol ;)

I could have picked it apart, but that was the "gem" of the piece and I felt it was enough to make my point.

I did address your other point (It's new and dfferent, let's try it out) in my explanation that I wasn't rejecting it just because it was different, and even pointed out two idea that I think do have merit. Hell, the Acura LMP1 cars with the rear tries on the front is another great example of doing something odd and making it work that I love.

I guess this particular design rubbed me the wrong way because it is so obviously from a straight-line mindset that seems to sterotype American auto racing. That design is like admitting to the world: "Corners confuse us. We just want cars that go fast in a straight line and look like rocket ships!"

God, I hope Top Gear doesn't get a hold of this picture.