s4 and a4. who has em?

Ryan218

Wife has an 06 A4 2.0T Quattro Auto.

Oil changes are far harder/more expensive than they should be.

Stock tires lasted until about 40k-ish miles. Battery died this past winter = $110 for a cheapie.

Nothing else has ever been done to the car. No issues whatsoever. The 2.0T cars all seem to idle a bit rough (we drove a bunch when she bought her car a couple years ago). Rides well, and does well in the winter. Not very fast, but peppy enough for my wife.

Family DDs an 04 A4 Ultrasport. Going on 90k miles and it has been nothing short of fantastic. Only routine maintenance and coilpacks that were covered under warranty. It is a pleasure to drive and does great in snow and rain. Just try to buy a certified pre owned and you'll be safe!

looking at getting one. i dont know alot about audi's so what are there common problems? things to look for? ect?

Which body style/engine/trans are you considering? Too many variables to go through them all.

1) anything older than an 01.5 is a money pit

Pretty generic statement, but not totally bogus.

Wife has an 06 A4 2.0T Quattro Auto.

Oil changes are far harder/more expensive than they should be.

Stock tires lasted until about 40k-ish miles. Battery died this past winter = $110 for a cheapie.

Nothing else has ever been done to the car. No issues whatsoever. The 2.0T cars all seem to idle a bit rough (we drove a bunch when she bought her car a couple years ago). Rides well, and does well in the winter. Not very fast, but peppy enough for my wife.

The "rough" idle is because it is an Automatic. All of the B7 2.0T Auto's vibrate at idle. When paired with the 6mt, it is soom as butter. This is not to say your issue isn't a valid one, because I think its retarded that they vibrate like that, in a 33-40k car new.

I had my B7 A4 6mt for 2 years, 1 issue: coolant nipple on engine block leaked. Easy warranted fix. Nothing else.

Family DDs an 04 A4 Ultrasport. Going on 90k miles and it has been nothing short of fantastic. Only routine maintenance and coilpacks that were covered under warranty. It is a pleasure to drive and does great in snow and rain. Just try to buy a certified pre owned and you'll be safe!

Ultrasports are bad ass.

A few generic things:

B5 S4's are generally considered to be maint intensive, which equals $ intesnive.

B6/B7 S4's give owners and potential buyers irregular heart rates when thinking about the possibility of the cam chains breaking.

A4 1.8T's have sludge issues if oil is not changed regularly. Look for receipts of 3k dino changes and 5-7.5k syn changes.

A4 3.0 and 3.2=no mods, but very smooth and reliable. 3.2 is actually pretty fun to drive with a 6mt.

A4 2.0T is the way to go. Replace the cam follower every 25k miles like a wear item.

My vote is a 2008 A4 Avant 6mt. Factory S-Line exterior standard. Get some coilovers, a chip and you are set.

really anything. perfer the 1.8T motor though. and is the same motor thats used in the passats the same 1.8T thats used in the audi's?

example of one i wouldnt mind if it was a 5 speed.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/1820344657.html

what about the 97's? 1.8T and a 5 speed. something i should steer clear of or what to look for?

Audi's are all gay, and should never be bought by anybody.

+1. Horrible cars :D

Even the old ones shouldn't scare you if the owners can show good maintenance records

My '99 has 183k miles. Original turbo chipped since 50k miles. Done timing belt maintenance twice now, couple of coil packs, gear position sensor, spark controller module and front wheel bearings in addition to regular maintenance.

B5 S4 common problems that arent normal wear items...

K03 turbos

Center Information Display dead pixels

Auto dimming rear view mirror fluid problems.

After run coolant pump leakage

valve cover gasket leakage

Sensors go bad here and there

Was made available in auto trans

Most have wood interior trim

lolz @ Andy.

Seriously, if you take care of the car it will take care of you, just like the rest of them.

If you buy an old beat and abused Audi, it will violate your wallet.

Says the guy that has said in the past he would only own Audis that were still under warranty.

1) anything older than an 01.5 is a money pit

+1 to that.

I've been through 2 turbos, tie rods, an axle, my wheel bearing is out, my clutch is destroyed, and the car's sitting.

If you're looking to mod get something 1.8t or 2.0t.

the v6 a4's live forever and are faster than the turbos stock.

i dont know about the newer audi's, but the b5 a4's you can do really anything you need to yourself, if you have the facility.

I've heard the v6tt s4's are hard / expensive to work on.

Just make sure you REALLY look the car over before you buy it.

not looking for something to mod. want something to drive that will be good on gas. comfy and still get out of its own way. want a foxbody again as my tow but that will be this witner. ive heard bad things about the v6 one's?

not looking for something to mod. want something to drive that will be good on gas. comfy and still get out of its own way. want a foxbody again as my tow but that will be this witner. ive heard bad things about the v6 one's?

The turbo cars aren't earth shattering for gas mileage around town, however they're pretty darn good on the highway. I recently got 30-31 MPG average on a trip down to Atlanta and back averaging 80mph. Not bad for a car of it's age and mileage.

Typically the later b5s have the updated S4 badge, but some of them have been switched around due to bodywork, ricers, etc in the past 10 years. The V6 A4s are just fine. Plenty of power for getting around, and I got 25mpg with mine. They are very reliable, and last a very long time as long as you change your timing belt. Don't get a b5 S4 unless you want to work on it and buy parts, because they CAN be a hassle.