Home audio question.

Skinner

OK so over the weekend I decided to move the HD cable box ( Time Warner) from our bedroom back to our living room. Also added installed a all in one surround sound system. I have a HDMI cable for each one. The issue I have is that the sound for the cable is through the TV, which is fine for normal TV but if we want to watch movie of sports would like to use the surround sound. Now the down side the all-in-one does not have a HDMI in only the out. So what I want to do until we find a receiver with HDMI ins is to run a RCA from the cable box to the audio in on the all-in-one. Which I have done but when I switch the box to receiver to that channel I get nothing. So my question is this with the HDMI plugged in does it kill power to all the other inputs?

From the way you describe it, something isn't quite right. TW doesn't disable the other audio outputs when HDMI is used (at least the optical output isn't disabled - I know this for a fact; I've never tested the other outputs because you should only be using the optical output anyway).

I know WOW doesn't disable any of the outputs when HDMI is connected - I've tested that.

It would be pretty stupid for the All-In-One to disable its inputs if the HDMI output is connected, as that would really reduce most of its functionality, so I doubt that is the case.

From the way you describe it, something isn't quite right. TW doesn't disable the other audio outputs when HDMI is used (at least the optical output isn't disabled - I know this for a fact; I've never tested the other outputs because you should only be using the optical output anyway).

I know WOW doesn't disable any of the outputs when HDMI is connected - I've tested that.

It would be pretty stupid for the All-In-One to disable its inputs if the HDMI output is connected, as that would really reduce most of its functionality, so I doubt that is the case.

The all in one is fine from what I can see I think the issue is on the TW box. as I tried using just the red white and yellow rca connection to test it with the HDMI plugged and unplugged and it was not working either way.