Mazdaspeed Protege Moneypit?

Sparky

I think the mazdaspeed protege failed, it wasn't much power, like 170hp, and there werent a bunch made, and so i think it'd be a hard time finding stuff for it, and really making some power. Stock I heard they handle well, but i'd be sad about having a turbo4 that couldn't keep up with like a stock or chipped passat 2.0t.

My buddy has an 08 6spd 2.0t passat, just chipped and that thing rolls out.

Went and test drove the 2.0T Passat and Jetta 2.0T DSG. I wasnt terribly impressed with the Passat, it felt a lot bigger than it is. The Jetta felt sporty with about as much power as I imagined a stock 2.0T should have. I would really love a manual though.

The MSP was a great chassis with a terrible engine. The FSDE was never designed to be turbocharged, and the mazdaspeed cars just had a factory installed callaway bolt-on turbo kit. The stock rods are done at 200hp, the head sucks, stock tuning has giant peaks and valleys, I could go on...

The new VW 2.0t is an awesome motor. 200hp stock, 80 more HP is just a flash away. Give the DSG trans a chance, but drive it in manual mode. The auto program is awful. Don't get a model (Passat, base Jetta) without paddle shifters. I good downpipe and intake helps with the power drop at 5k rpm.

The MSP was a great chassis with a terrible engine. The FSDE was never designed to be turbocharged, and the mazdaspeed cars just had a factory installed callaway bolt-on turbo kit. The stock rods are done at 200hp, the head sucks, stock tuning has giant peaks and valleys, I could go on...

The new VW 2.0t is an awesome motor. 200hp stock, 80 more HP is just a flash away. Give the DSG trans a chance, but drive it in manual mode. The auto program is awful. Don't get a model (Passat, base Jetta) without paddle shifters. I good downpipe and intake helps with the power drop at 5k rpm.

I had a MSP for a few years and a lot of what people are saying is true. It's is a GREAT handling car! One of the best I've ever driven, and several magazines said it was the best handling FWD car ever (and this is including the Integra Type R).

Parts are fairly easy to find since everything is basic Protege stuff with a turbo on it. There are some problems to look for, like cracked manifolds, and I wouldn't trust any car wasn't abused or improperly modified. A lot of ricers and teenagers had these cars and just cranked the boost up. If I were buying one used I would make sure I had enough money to build the engine, add supporting bolt-on's, tune it, and replace the LSD.

So, yes, it could be a giant money pit, but it's an incredibly fun car to drive. If you want to race open track/time trial events this is a pretty decent car to have. I didn't find the MS3 to be as 'tossable' as the MSP, but it probably has better durability.

I had a MSP for a few years and a lot of what people are saying is true. It's is a GREAT handling car! One of the best I've ever driven, and several magazines said it was the best handling FWD car ever (and this is including the Integra Type R).

Parts are fairly easy to find since everything is basic Protege stuff with a turbo on it. There are some problems to look for, like cracked manifolds, and I wouldn't trust any car wasn't abused or improperly modified. A lot of ricers and teenagers had these cars and just cranked the boost up. If I were buying one used I would make sure I had enough money to build the engine, add supporting bolt-on's, tune it, and replace the LSD.

So, yes, it could be a giant money pit, but it's an incredibly fun car to drive. If you want to race open track/time trial events this is a pretty decent car to have. I didn't find the MS3 to be as 'tossable' as the MSP, but it probably has better durability.

I loved my pro 5 was such a fun car to drive when we replaced it with the 3 was very disappointed on how disconnected and numb feeling was compared to the pro 5. The 3 was a nice car but the pro 5 was a blast to drive.

I loved my pro 5 was such a fun car to drive when we replaced it with the 3 was very disappointed on how disconnected and numb feeling was compared to the pro 5. The 3 was a nice car but the pro 5 was a blast to drive.

Agreed. Even though the MSP has less power than a lot of cars out there, on twisty roads it will eat them up.

I'll add that my friend and I bought MSP's around the same time and were both tracking them. I sold mine, he kept his. He's won his class at the NASA Time Trials National Championships twice in a fairly stock car, and been really competitve since gutting it and stripping a lot of weight out. He's going on his 5th season with the car and the engine is still stock. I think he turn's high 1:3x's (i think around 1:38?) at Mid-Ohio. He did a 1:42.9 in a mildly modified car.

I've done a little research but whats the reality on them? Worthwhile?

My other more serious options right now are a 2.0T Jetta or Passat 06-07 for both of them.

If you don't get the Jetta 2.0T, you are way more gay than I tell people.

i would think that the vw's would be more of a money pit due to the electrical isssues it might have

LOL:rolleyes:

Talk about stereotyping applicable about 20 years ago. Times have changed with regards to electrical issues.

Went and test drove the 2.0T Passat and Jetta 2.0T DSG. I wasnt terribly impressed with the Passat, it felt a lot bigger than it is. The Jetta felt sporty with about as much power as I imagined a stock 2.0T should have. I would really love a manual though.

Passat has a tiptronic (tq converted) auto. It is not performance oriented. The Passat also has a very soft suspension. If you are driving the stock car expecting it to feel like an S4 or even a Jetta, think again.

DSG is great, but don't get sucked in. I did, and sold it 2 years later. It is NO substitute for a true manual. You will get bored, its only a matter of time.

Get the Jetta 2.0T fag.

buying a passat is just admitting your gay

Chill Vanilla Ice.

Lol, i'd love to have actually liked the passat. Sizewise it fits sooo much better. But I did like the all around feel of the Jetta. I found a GLI for a bit more than I want to spend. But I figure if it's the right car than it may be worth it.

If you don't get the Jetta 2.0T, you are way more gay than I tell people.

LOL:rolleyes:

Talk about stereotyping applicable about 20 years ago. Times have changed with regards to electrical issues.

Passat has a tiptronic (tq converted) auto. It is not performance oriented. The Passat also has a very soft suspension. If you are driving the stock car expecting it to feel like an S4 or even a Jetta, think again.

DSG is great, but don't get sucked in. I did, and sold it 2 years later. It is NO substitute for a true manual. You will get bored, its only a matter of time.

Get the Jetta 2.0T fag.

Chill Vanilla Ice.

What about a BMW? A nice 3 or 5 series have decent power and handle excellent. Or I've always wanted a nice G35.

But you're kinda all over the place on cars, an MSP is definitely in the $8k or less range while the MKV Jetta 2.0t/Passat 2.0t are definitely in the teens, plus bigger/more luxurious for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchy chan View Post

i would think that the vw's would be more of a money pit due to the electrical isssues it might have

LOL

not true...i've know people within the last 5 years to have terrible issues with electrical in their jettas...windows quit working, heated seats stop working, etc....i'm not saying all of them are like that...it's just possible

i love vw's/audi's, and would love to rock one....but i worry about dealing with that

it is also true to watch out for messed with mazdaspeed proteges...lot's of people probably ran them hard....and when they sell them, they set them back to stock and try and list them as "stock" when they've been trashed....it might be good to try and buy one from someone you "know" so you know the history of it....search the classifieds on mazdas247.com or something like that....