Where can I get an ATV vin# checked out?

Browning

Got a blaster yesterday and the guy give me a bill of sale. I found a site that you can run vin #'s but I'm not sure how accurate it is. Even though it said it was clean, I'd like to have it checked again. Local police department said they can't do it. I'm not sure if he thought I was asking for info on whoever had it before or what but all I need to know is if it's stolen or not before I put money into it fixing it up.

He said try the DMV but I don't think they can help unless I'm trying to get a title for it.

well this sucks. DMV ran the vin for me and said it isn't coming up at all. Also said there definitely should be a title for it somewhere and that I'll need to trace it back to the title holder. Dunno how the hell I'm gonna do that.

Even if there should be a title, shouldn't the vin return something? She asked if it was an out of state quad, whcih I do not know. FML

I don't see how I'm going to do it though. she said there was no way to get a title for it without finding the original buyers/whoever holds the title

This is wrong. If memory serves you have to submit any and all paperwork you have to the bmv and it is brought up to a judge who decided if the info warrants you as the owner. I have done this several times but it has been awhile. It is possible and dont listen to anyone who states its not.

Heres what I believe to be your options.

1. find a family member in another state where titles arent required. Have them register and obtain a title for sale then give it back to you. really they just need to do the paperwork and will need the vin.

2. You can try to obtain title paperwork from bmv or print it off the website, take the paperwork and quad to highway patrol and see if they will verify vin and sign paperwork which will again allow you to obtain title.

3. Contact the Title and Vehicle Information Services at 614-752-7671 and see if they will help. Tell them the seller left town. whomever you speak with probably wont know how to help you so try to speak with someone who does.

4.What year is it? i believe titles werent required on off road vehicles until 1999 so if it was never titled then go to the agency and tell them this and show bill of sale.

5.Duplicate titles are $5 I believe why is the guy who sold it not getting it?

6.Only ATV's that are designed for leisure and recreation must be titled. ATV's that are designed for utility, commercial or garden use are not titled. Used ATV's or Off-Road Motorcycles must be taken to either a new car dealer or a deputy registers' office for a VIN Inspection. Just say its used for your garden.

Its illegal to sell any motor vehicle withou title. How much did you give for it? Buy a cheap frame off ebay with title and swap all parts over. Your not doing anything illegal here. people buy stuff everyday without titles. I have bought 3 cars without titles and just went and got one. It was a bit of a hassle but the deal was so good it was worth it. If you paid retail for something with no title well............. I wouldnt spend 2 seconds worrying about the title.

just started this process. Depending how long its been since its been registered or titled, you can file for a court order title. you just need to send info to a columbus agency including a denial of how you obtained the quad without a title with it being notarized. shell do the paperwork for you then send it via mail. Then you take it to you common pleas court. The fee here in lima is $200.00 for a corut order title for any vehicle.

My motorcycle hasnt been registered in over 10yrs. so this process is going very easy for me. Theres no record of this bike in the system so that helps. but im sure your case is diff