Foot Injury 2.0

wnaplay1647545503

Looks as though I get to do it all over again. They want me to make plans to have the foot cut open right down the middle in between the existing scars. They want to pull all the screws out, and begin fusing bones together. While they are there they will also cut the back of my leg open to cut a tendon or muscle or something. I will be in one hard cast for 2 weeks and then go back in and be put into a solid cast for another 6 weeks. After that I will get to do a couple months of physical therapy again. Its just like starting over. The bad thing is money is flying out of savings, cars are breaking and life is getting crappy right now. They pulled me out of college yesterday on a medical hold so at least I dont have to worry about that right now.

He wanted me to do it next week. I am going to try like hell to get them to wait until the kids are at least back in school.

Try? cant you just tell them to wait? it is YOUR leg?

If they put screws in there in the first place wasnt there a plan to go back in and take them out? Or did the dr's lead you to believe that was it for surgery?

Screws were permanent unless they needed to come out for pain issues. There was always a chance they would need to come out but leaving them in would have been no big deal. Future surgery's were also always a possibility however we were hoping it would have been many years down the road.

i'm assuming you had a lis franc fracture---which is a terrible fracture to have. the hardware (screws) get left in place. if you develop arthritis of the midfoot (which i'm guessing you have), they remove the screws, fuse the arthritic bones (to decrease pain), and partially release your gastroc muscle at the heel to give you more motion in the ankle to compensate for the small decrease in motion you'll have with the foot fusion.

it all makes sense. these are horrible injuries---they take a year or more to recover from.

i'm assuming you had a lis franc fracture---which is a terrible fracture to have. the hardware (screws) get left in place. if you develop arthritis of the midfoot (which i'm guessing you have), they remove the screws, fuse the arthritic bones (to decrease pain), and partially release your gastroc muscle at the heel to give you more motion in the ankle to compensate for the small decrease in motion you'll have with the foot fusion.

it all makes sense. these are horrible injuries---they take a year or more to recover from.

Its like you were in the room. Sounds just like what he said.