2002 pontiac grand prix gtp

acmebomb

im looking into possibally buying one of these in the need future. just wanted to see if anyone on this fourm had and quick background info.

what milelage after so high to stay away from. what are some commom problems with these cars.

thanks , acmebomb

They make good DD's. The motors are strong. There have been issues with the rear valve cover gasket and the coolant elbow leaking. The coolant elbow started leaking on my around 120K miles. Minor issues are a week soder joint in the Heads Up Display (if you have that) that results in it dimming. The driver info center is also known to fade or black out. If you drive it hard, I would have the trans flushed and throw in a new filter. The weak spot is the trans (from my experience). There are a few other odds and ends that have happened but as far as readability, I've had mine for 6 years and 130K miles... it's still running.

jeez duff, even if it was your first car where the fuck do you drive 20k miles/year average, lol.

i've had 2, a 2001 sedan and a 97 coupe. both were fun daily's, pretty quick and easy to mod. i'd say if you're going to keep it stock/close to stock, do it and enjoy it, after that its gets expensive fast for no reason.

It was my first car. I made a lot of out of state trips to kentucky, tn, pa and fl once. whenever i was bored i would just hop in and go somewhere.

From what i hear i'm one of the lucky ones because i never had an issue with the tranny once. That car was a tank. Never got stuck in snow or mud once, deer hit it on the rear fender and not even a scratch.

they are solid for sure wish I still had mine... only issue i had with mine was replacing the (cps) in it. Other thank that I drove the piss out of it with 120k and never had a issue.

I have been lokoing for one for a decent price but have been coming up short...

I have a '97 GT with 220k and twin T28's and it runs great. The trans will hold up too as long as you don't thrash the hell out of it on a daily basis. Blew the pump seal out of the trans and when I dropped the pan it had some shavings, and I put it back together with hopes of it still being usable and it still pulls great.

I'd be leary of transmissions over 130-150k, the tranny is deff the weak point. The wheel bearings suck, and they will leak coolant from the little bypass tubes because some dumbass engineer decided to run coolant through the alternator bracket (really a pretty easy fix). The engines are great. We bought our N/A 3800 Impala with 30k and it now has 170k, basic maintenance, a radiator, a MAF, and a tranny (just 6 months ago), and it's still running good.

Had a couple and a GT. I had front end suspension issues with them. Tie rods, bearings, sway bars breaking. Never had to take the engine or trans apart though.

Overall, you can find one with heated leather, moonroof, HUD, CD changer, dual climate, etc for CHEAP.

I'd be leary of transmissions over 130-150k, the tranny is deff the weak point. The wheel bearings suck, and they will leak coolant from the little bypass tubes because some dumbass engineer decided to run coolant through the alternator bracket (really a pretty easy fix). The engines are great. We bought our N/A 3800 Impala with 30k and it now has 170k, basic maintenance, a radiator, a MAF, and a tranny (just 6 months ago), and it's still running good.

+1, I got rid of my '97 coupe at 135k miles because I figured it was just a matter of time before the trans, wheel bearings, etc. would all need replaced.

My upper coolant elbow was leaking pretty bad at about 125k, and like mentioned above, it's an easy fix despite the dumbass engineering that makes it more complicated than it has to be.

As far as modding, it doesn't cost a whole lot to run 13's. But if you want to run 12's or faster you'll be spending quite a bit, and it's not really worth it IMO unless you've got money to blow. Although they make practical/excellent/fun daily drivers, even when stock.

Any pictures of the setup? The only twin setup I've seen is Matt's.

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww221/500powered/JasonRear.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww221/500powered/JasonIntake.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww221/500powered/JasonTurbo.jpg

Ive got a 98 and have had it for several years and have pushed it hard. It has 140k on it and I am seeing signs of my tranny slipping. These engines are bullet proof and its really not expensive to replace things since they are pretty much a dime a dozen.

I have no plans on getting rid of mine and actually wouldnt mind picking up another one day.

I remeber that car!! Intense tried the STS route...was that your car?

No

Habitual, how long have you owned that car? I have definitely seen it before...

A few months. I honestly wish I would've listened to Anthony and bought a Trans Am like I originally planned on. But I can't say I regret this option. Just the WWD thing drives me crazy.

I never had to replace shit on my 98. I had the basicmods on it, smaller pulley, u-bend/cat delete, CAI and a couple othe things. I thrashed on it on a dail basis and never had one issue until 207k. That includes tranny, wheel bearings and the other stuff mentioned above. It was all original.