Trap & Skeet shooting?

Diamonds

I think I want to start with trap shooting. It looks fun... But i have some questions.

1. Where in Columbus do they have a corse for trap/skeet? cost?

2. What kind of shotgun is typically used? (more focus on the low end)

3. What is a good used gun shop in Columbus to get one (Shotgun)?

4. what is the proper etiquite when trap shooting?

Can i just buy a 250.00 dollar mossberg pump action and go fuck shit up?

I'm looking to find some info.

I've got a mossy and I must say - its terrible. On the low low end get a Remington 870, one step up would be a Benelli Nova. Above that you are starting to move into the semi-autos but there's really no need for that as a beginner.

Blackwing in Delaware has a nice facility for this. North of that at the Marango exit off 71 (the next one past 36/37) there is some sort of trap and skeet club, but I've never been there and know nothing about it. Also off 23 is the Delaware state park which is free for shotgun, but you have to bring your own launcher.

As for buying a gun, go to Vance's. Some of the best prices in the state.

My 870 with a Turkey choke works damn fine for skeet. (I also have an improved cylinder choke but prefer the Turkey choke)

I have 220 in the setup.

Ohio valley in Lancaster usually have used 870s, but they go quick.

thats decently inexpensive.

know of any for sale right now?

I use a springfield side by side break action but your getting into high dollar equipment

if you want to try it out just get a nice cheap single shit 20 or 12ga

as for courses centerburg conservation club is pretty good, but you'll either need to join or go with another member

the easier way is to borrow or buy a clay pigeon thrower and just go shoot on private land

1100 Remington is a great gun. I have had a couple of these in the past. You can find a used one that is not in mint condition for a price close to a new mossberg ,etc and it will also hold its value better for resale when you decide to move up or just trade around at a gun show. They have been in production since the mid 60's. Example of one below.

http://v2.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=184765169

Big Walnut Conservation Club off of Hartford Rd in Sunbury has open trap, skeet and sporting clays. Check the "outdoor news" section of the columbus disptach every sunday for dates. The sporting clays is 50 birds for $11.50 and skeet and trap is typically $2.50-5 per 25

I have a 12 ga Remington 1187 semi auto. Very reliable and a great gun use it alot on phesants out in Kansas. Also have a Browning Citori. Best gun I have ever shot but is really expensive. I use it alot for the closer shots in woods hunting ruffed grouse and woodcocks in Mighigan and what not. All the places named in the thread I have been to, to shoot and all the courses were fun and a great time to say the least. How to act at the range is simple. Always have your action open untill you are in the booth or staged area to shoot. Don't crowd people when they are shooting. Stay back at the benches or whatever is there unless you are getting the pre-fly of your targets to see how the station is set up before you get in the booth to shoot. And always use proper gun safty which is basic common sense really. And always wear your eye and ear protection.

ok well a semi auto and pump action are apples and oranges both in terms of performance and price.

and if we want to get into performance stats, mossberg has the military contract over remington.

i hit 22 in skeet a few week ago with a browning bps pump. it's more the shooter than the gun. A beginner can do "ok" with a pump, but it's advantageous they have an o/u or a semi that way they can focus on the shooting and not having to work the action/

i am talking old school shootfest on thanksgiving weekend. unless something happens I probably won't be in town until then

Holy fuck I hope I have that weekend off.

P.S. I probably won't be making it to Fayetteville BUT if you want to make a trip to OBX while we're there feel free to come out.

Holy fuck I hope I have that weekend off.

P.S. I probably won't be making it to Fayetteville BUT if you want to make a trip to OBX while we're there feel free to come out.

let me know when I might be able to swing over there I went over when marc was there