Need Audi Help, PLEASE!!

cinergi

Ok, so I have a 2001 Audi S4 stage 3. Fairly clean, I can't find any rust on it. Don't like it so I haven't driven it much in the close to two months I have owned it. Keep in mind that I haven't driven it in 150 miles in the last month or so. My friend drove it a lot when I first got it, put close to 700 or 800 miles on it. So the car has seen close to 1,000 miles since it has been in my possession.

I have had it up for trade and like I mentioned, I don't like it much so I hardly ever drive it. It does get started about three times a week, though. The last time I went to start it to let it run (three days ago, the car had issues starting.) It was tuned to run 30lbs, but I turned it down to 8lbs. Spark plugs fouled, so I changed them. Slightly better, but not good enough. I thought that would improve the "slight miss" and it did, but it is still there.

1. Changed coil packs (with good, tested ones).

2. Changed spark plugs (tried gap at .028 and .025) -- no improvement.

3. Charged and tested battery.

4. Replaced battery.

5. Reset ECU.

I checked the MAF when I replaced the coils and it was CLEAN.

Car still doesn't like to start, although it is about 3x better than it was.

Push clutch down, turn key and it sounds like the starter is spinning 70% of the time, the other part of the time it does nothing.

I don't have a Vagcom and I am NOT seeing any CEL's until after the car is off. They go on and off.

Oh yeah, another couple symptoms that are odd:

1. Once I get the car started, let it run. Does fine, until you drive it. Gets 1/4 - 1/2 mile, dies. (This was yesterday before changing the battery--not trying that venture again. This car is HEAVY to push).

2. Got the car started today after replacing battery (started on second crank). Let the car run for ~10 mins. Closed the hood, dies. Another time before I replaced the battery I turned the lights on immediately, died.

Car does have a turbo timer and an after market alarm.

I am thinking bad ground? What else could make it act like this? I am stumped. Didn't have this issue prior to a couple days ago.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not Nagaro blue with Porsche brakes, is it? I'm afraid I don't have much to add that you haven't already figured out; sounds like a ground problem to me. Unless of course it's the car I was thinking of... in which case you should sell it and forget you ever saw it. :)

I wished I would of got on here yesterday, but I left my computer at the house today, but I can bring my cheap VAG COM or my full HEX-USB setup if you need too. I work at the new Mattress Firm on Morse before Stelzer Road. Out my back door I can see Sams Club. Let me know via e-mail if you need me to scan it. IVRINGS@yahoo.com

He picked up my USB cord from ECS for cheap, but you told him the wrong software to download. So he came back to my store where we downloaded the right setup and then got his driver loaded to run it too. So we should know something soon. I also told him I have my Ross tech setup here if we need to do more.

He picked up my USB cord from ECS for cheap, but you told him the wrong software to download. So he came back to my store where we downloaded the right setup and then got his driver loaded to run it too. So we should know something soon. I also told him I have my Ross tech setup here if we need to do more.

That's the software that works with my rosstech cable.

rosstech cable is the key word! That is the same program I use for mine too, but I sold him the usb that is non rosstech cause I'm sure he didn't want to spend a few hundred on the cable when he can scan and see codes

rosstech cable is the key word! That is the same program I use for mine too, but I sold him the usb that is non rosstech cause I'm sure he didn't want to spend a few hundred on the cable when he can scan and see codes

Ah yes...i see.

Thanks Trey for all the help, I could have done something wrong but I read through everything I could find to no avail. Also, it could be that the S4 is different enough from the A4 that it just wasn't able to read right, who knows.

I thought the ECS would be a cheaper solution to at least point me in the right direction. This car doesn't let you take the easy way out!

I just realized you probably havent driven it long enough since you reset the ECU for codes to show. Sucks.
x2... I just thought about something. I wonder if it is having immo problems since the battery was replaced? What you think Kickass?

I didn't know it had an aftermarket alarm. I would pull the power to that for sure. My 01 Z24 had the same type of problem where it would kill the car. I didn't even think about that. Has the old owner been asked about the problem? Cause maybe it has happened before.

I don't think it is the alarm, but it is a good place to start. Most alarms I am familiar with don't even allow a crank to happen. As many times as the battery has been un-hooked from the car I would think that would have reset any issue. Also never have I seen an alarm activate while going over a bump.

I messaged the previous owner, but have not heard back from him yet.

I didn't even think about the fact that there were no stored codes because I reset everything. Before I could get the car running, now it won't even start.

Send me a picture of the inside of your ECU box. I want to see what it should look like, how the ECU is mounted, etc. I looked on google and didn't find anything I was looking for.

I'd start with the alarm. And the fact that you want to see what my ECU looks like sounds scary. Mine is completely stock, its inside the plastic box and held down with a metal spring clip. I'll take a pic when I get home.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/client-storage/10178-95396f23-a72b-497f-8828-585b422b42be/NTE_04.jpg

Like that but with no writing on it and a metal clip that goes over the top.